Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Efficient kettle usage.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 
 Message
onemanband



Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 1473
Location: NCA90
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 15 2:29 pm    Post subject: Efficient kettle usage.  Reply with quote    

I guess the amounts of energy involved are negligible, but I was wondering ......

If you are heating water for washing up, with an electric kettle, is it more efficient to ......

A) Half fill kettle and bring to full boil, then add cold water to washing bowl

or

B) Fully fill kettle and only heat to required temperature.

My gut feeling is 'B' .But I can't scientifically explain why.

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 33628
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 15 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

i thought of an instant answer then had doughts ,will consider

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21297
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 15 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Bring water to the boil uses more energy than heating it to just below boiling point (latent heat of vaporisation) so in theory it's more efficient to heat water to the temperature you need despite having to heat a larger mass.

In practice I doubt there would be very much in it due to other variables coming into play. Using a kettle may not be the most effective way to heat the water.


Hairyloon



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 14915
Location: Today I are mostly being in Yorkshire.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 15 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Assuming you are looking to end with the same amount of water at the same temperature, then it is less efficient to boil the kettle because of the energy escaping in the steam, but FFS...

If you are really that bothered, then how you use the water is probably more significant, but surely life is too short?

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 33628
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 15 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

to part heat all the water avoids using energy to heat the kettle above the required water temp .

a aaa rated dishwasher will use less energy and water than a chap with a tap, kettle and bowl and give a better result

probably the most eco friendly method is to use a "pad"of something and sand or peat to clean pots n plates

onemanband



Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 1473
Location: NCA90
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 15 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hairyloon wrote:
but FFS...

If you are really that bothered, then how you use the water is probably more significant, but surely life is too short?


As I said in the OP - just wondered. I shan't be loosing any sleep over it.

onemanband



Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 1473
Location: NCA90
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 15 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

vegplot wrote:
Bring water to the boil uses more energy than heating it to just below boiling point (latent heat of vaporisation) so in theory it's more efficient to heat water to the temperature you need despite having to heat a larger mass.

In practice I doubt there would be very much in it due to other variables coming into play. Using a kettle may not be the most effective way to heat the water.


Yes that was my vague recollection of GCSE physics.
My current water heating situation is ........ electric shower(for showers),kettles on woodburner(for washing up during winter) and electric kettle (for summer washing up)
As I am only kettling what I need, when I need it and mainly during the summer, then given my circumstances it is maybe not that inefficient.

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21297
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 15 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

onemanband wrote:
vegplot wrote:
Bring water to the boil uses more energy than heating it to just below boiling point (latent heat of vaporisation) so in theory it's more efficient to heat water to the temperature you need despite having to heat a larger mass.

In practice I doubt there would be very much in it due to other variables coming into play. Using a kettle may not be the most effective way to heat the water.


Yes that was my vague recollection of GCSE physics.
My current water heating situation is ........ electric shower(for showers),kettles on woodburner(for washing up during winter) and electric kettle (for summer washing up)
As I am only kettling what I need, when I need it and mainly during the summer, then given my circumstances it is maybe not that inefficient.


Circumstances are everything aren't they! Go with the 'heat as much as you need unless there's a cuppa in the offing'.

Or there's this...

http://www.avalanche-energyinc.com/

Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 9541

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 15 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I heard from someone that had solar hot water panels that even in the winter they did heat the water a bit, and it was really hot in summer.

As far as making tea is concerned, we boil a kettle then put any spare hot water into a flask for making coffee, or reheating later for tea. That reduces energy usage too, but no good for the original question about washing up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright © 2004 marsjupiter.com