Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Into the big wide world
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 
 Message
OtleyLad



Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 2737
Location: Otley, West Yorkshire
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 10:27 am    Post subject: Into the big wide world  Reply with quote    

I've just booked a 1/4 page ad in a local community magazine to advertise myself as an Electrician:



The mag comes out next week (Sept 6th) and is posted through about 15,000 letterboxes in the surrounding towns/villages.

A six month booking @ 69 + VAT per month but with a 10% discount for the September issue.

Not far off a year since I started the course - this is the final test - can I get any work?

In the future when I have done a 'critical mass' of work I would hope that word of mouth will be enough.

But for now I will have to train myself to have my mobile phone:
Nearby
Charged
Switched On
And answer the damn thing!

The website is currently a dog's dinner - so that will keep me busy for a day or two...

frewen



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 11405

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Good luck - I'm sure you'll soon be telling us how busy you are

Sally Too



Joined: 14 Sep 2006
Posts: 2511
Location: N.Ireland
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

He gives an address though - and for me that would counter the mobile issue.

Having said that I like a first name - so that I can ask specifically for someone

Penny Outskirts



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 23385
Location: Planet, not on the....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Like the advert, good luck

robkb



Joined: 29 May 2009
Posts: 4205
Location: SE London
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Good luck.

stumbling goat



Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Advert does what it needs to. Good luck with your venture.

sg

Spruengli



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 537
Location: Dorking(ish)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Best of luck - the advert looks clear and professional

Hairyloon



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 15215
Location: Today I are mostly being in Yorkshire.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Sally Too wrote:
He gives an address though - and for me that would counter the mobile issue.

I spotted that after I'd posted, so I deleted my post. (I was saying that some folk don't trust a firm with only a mobile number).

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you answering a blank.

Quote:
Having said that I like a first name - so that I can ask specifically for someone

I agree.

OtleyLad



Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 2737
Location: Otley, West Yorkshire
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hairyloon wrote:
Sally Too wrote:
He gives an address though - and for me that would counter the mobile issue.

I spotted that after I'd posted, so I deleted my post. (I was saying that some folk don't trust a firm with only a mobile number).

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you answering a blank.


I never saw the post - so don't worry about it.

I did think about giving the home phone number, but then I thought it might be better if there was just a single number that in theory could get hold of me wherever I was in the daytime.

I still haven't figured out how to retrieve voice mails on my mobile yet. I have this hate/hate relationship with the thing. Maybe I should see a councilor or something.

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 33978
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

What network are you on?

Nell Merionwen



Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 16300
Location: Beautiful Derbyshire
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

OtleyLad wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
Sally Too wrote:
He gives an address though - and for me that would counter the mobile issue.

I spotted that after I'd posted, so I deleted my post. (I was saying that some folk don't trust a firm with only a mobile number).

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you answering a blank.


I never saw the post - so don't worry about it.

I did think about giving the home phone number, but then I thought it might be better if there was just a single number that in theory could get hold of me wherever I was in the daytime.

I still haven't figured out how to retrieve voice mails on my mobile yet. I have this hate/hate relationship with the thing. Maybe I should see a councilor or something.

Is is not just press and hold 1?

cir3ngirl



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 4830
Location: Cirencester
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nell Merionwen wrote:
OtleyLad wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
Sally Too wrote:
He gives an address though - and for me that would counter the mobile issue.

I spotted that after I'd posted, so I deleted my post. (I was saying that some folk don't trust a firm with only a mobile number).

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you answering a blank.


I never saw the post - so don't worry about it.

I did think about giving the home phone number, but then I thought it might be better if there was just a single number that in theory could get hold of me wherever I was in the daytime.

I still haven't figured out how to retrieve voice mails on my mobile yet. I have this hate/hate relationship with the thing. Maybe I should see a councilor or something.

Is is not just press and hold 1?


Normally yes and it has a tape symbol where rest of numbers have letters beside them

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 33978
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Depends on phone and network. It's often the case, tho.

OtleyLad



Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 2737
Location: Otley, West Yorkshire
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 13 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

cir3ngirl wrote:
Nell Merionwen wrote:
OtleyLad wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
Sally Too wrote:
He gives an address though - and for me that would counter the mobile issue.

I spotted that after I'd posted, so I deleted my post. (I was saying that some folk don't trust a firm with only a mobile number).

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you answering a blank.


I never saw the post - so don't worry about it.

I did think about giving the home phone number, but then I thought it might be better if there was just a single number that in theory could get hold of me wherever I was in the daytime.

I still haven't figured out how to retrieve voice mails on my mobile yet. I have this hate/hate relationship with the thing. Maybe I should see a councilor or something.

Is is not just press and hold 1?


Normally yes and it has a tape symbol where rest of numbers have letters beside them


Ah, I see it now. Thanks.
No idea that was what the symbol was for

There were no messages though - or I haven't set it up yet (must get some friends).

Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 10470

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 13 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

As Hairyloon said, although now deleted, having a land line number does give a certain confidence that the person is respectable, but having an address does mean that you can be found, and you are not a fly by night.

Being in another industry that is a bit likely to attract less stable people, we work on the respectable side. As you say, once you get a core of customers, you should get word of mouth recommendations if your work is good.

Not sure if it would work for you, but apart from emergency work, a landline number with answerphone works quite well for us. We always try to ring the person back that evening, if only to leave a message we have returned the call, so they can see that we do what we say (hopefully, weather etc. willing).

I would also try to get the web site up as soon as possible. We get a lot of our contacts that way now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com