Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cookie cutter
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Author 
 Message
mochyn



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 24569
Location: mid-Wales
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 06 1:19 pm    Post subject: Cookie cutter  Reply with quote    

Elsewhere on this site someone who shall remain nameless sugested I make a dragon-shpaed crouton.

Anyone know how to make a dragon-shaped cutter?

Or where I could get one...

Northern_Lad



Joined: 13 Dec 2004
Posts: 14210
Location: Somewhere
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 06 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cookie cutter Reply with quote    

mochyn wrote:
Elsewhere on this site someone who shall remain nameless sugested I make a dragon-shpaed crouton.

Anyone know how to make a dragon-shaped cutter?

Or where I could get one...


Come on, you're in Wales - there's bound to be a cookshop somewhere selling one.

cab



Joined: 01 Nov 2004
Posts: 32429

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 06 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Google is your friend.

http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Dragon_Cookie_Cutter.html

Northern_Lad



Joined: 13 Dec 2004
Posts: 14210
Location: Somewhere
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 06 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Dragon cutter
A bit big and a bit friendly, but still...

Róisín



Joined: 30 Jul 2005
Posts: 578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 06 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Or you could just cut out the shape with a small knife maybe. But that would only work if you had to do just *one*

culpepper



Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 638
Location: Kent
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 06 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Wearing thick gloves;
Take a large coffee tin and a tin opener that cuts off the rim.Cut off rim and bottom. Using tin snips,cut up the side so that you have a flat piece of tin.
Cut a strip of tin about 3/4" -1".
Draw your dragon on paper then using long nosed pliers,bend the strip of tin to follow the lines of the drawing. Leave an overlap of about 1/4"
Drill a hole in the overlap with a drill or hammer and nail.
Push a pop rivette through the hole and close it with a pop rivette tool.
I did this for a gingerbread man cutter years ago,we still use it now.
The edge becomes blunter over the years.

joanne



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 7095
Location: Morecambe, Lancashire
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 06 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I'm not going to buy more cookie cutters I'm not going to buy more cookie cutters.....Oh bugger!!!!!

They've even got pirate ship shaped ones

Not fair..................

marigold



Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 12458
Location: West Sussex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 06 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

cab wrote:
Google is your friend.

http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Dragon_Cookie_Cutter.html


Northern_Lad wrote:
Dragon cutter
A bit big and a bit friendly, but still...


what wussy-looking dragons

Oliver



Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 06 11:33 am    Post subject: Dragon shaped cookie cutter Reply with quote    

culpepper wrote:
... cutter ...

Well, who's a clever dick then! (We both are, that is exactly what I was going to suggests, except when I made a cutter, it was for fimo in the shape of a 'dancing clown' and I used a beer can because it was a bit smaller

JB



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 7748
Location: 91° N
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 06 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

culpepper wrote:
Wearing thick gloves;
Take a large coffee tin and a tin opener that cuts off the rim.Cut off rim and bottom. Using tin snips,cut up the side so that you have a flat piece of tin.
Cut a strip of tin about 3/4" -1".
Draw your dragon on paper then using long nosed pliers,bend the strip of tin to follow the lines of the drawing. Leave an overlap of about 1/4".


Of if your artwork isn't up to it ... wearing even thicker gloves take one standard dragon and wash in a 90 degree cotton cycle until shrunk to required size. Then proceed as above bending the metal around the dragon.

gingerwelly



Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 419
Location: Wales ...in cardiff at the mo but from mid wales
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 06 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

http://www.coppergifts.com/productcart/pc/Dragon_Cookie_Cutters_2_CG2128.asp

this is a nice one

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 20809
Location: sunny wales
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 06 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Could you start with an animal shaped cutter and rebend it? I'm sure I've seen cows etc done like gingerbread cutters in sheet tinplate?

mochyn



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 24569
Location: mid-Wales
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 06 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Having spent what seemed like hours Googling for one that I liked and having little success (by the way, how many cook shops do you think there are in Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa, NL?) I found a really dragony hardboard cut out (the kind for kids to draw round) at the Royal Welsh.

If I have time I'll make a cutter as per instructions above, but otherwise I'll just cut round it.

I'll post pics of the finished dish!

And I did look for a dragon to shrink-wash, but they were all reluctant to get into the washing macine. I wonder why?

And I don't think hot-washing would have much effect on something with its own internal furnace.

Northern_Lad



Joined: 13 Dec 2004
Posts: 14210
Location: Somewhere
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 06 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

mochyn wrote:
...(by the way, how many cook shops do you think there are in Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa, NL?)...


If it's anything like Pen-y-Bont-Fawr then not many.

mochyn



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 24569
Location: mid-Wales
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 06 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Northern_Lad wrote:
mochyn wrote:
...(by the way, how many cook shops do you think there are in Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa, NL?)...


If it's anything like Pen-y-Bont-Fawr then not many.


Although we do have just as many as we have Post Offices, butcher's shops, baker's shops, greengrocer's shops...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright © 2004 marsjupiter.com