Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Night shooting for bunnies.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 
 Message
Silas



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 6848
Location: Staffordshire
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 5:46 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

bodger wrote:
Are we supposed to turn the other cheek or do something practical ?
n.


Yes, do something practical, fence them in properly.

Silas



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 6848
Location: Staffordshire
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

bodger wrote:
Who let all the mink out?
Bunny Huggers thats who !


Why were they there in the first place?

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Silas wrote:
bodger wrote:
Who let all the mink out?
Bunny Huggers thats who !


Why were they there in the first place?


I'd have to agree with Silas on that, there was no reason to farm mink in this country (or at all).

Snap Cap



Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 553
Location: Outside a warren armed to the teeth.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Mink cause allsorts of probs at fisheries, but I normally trap them then humainly dispatch them.

They are also on the vermin list.

Something I should point out here. I hope you are aware that all wildlife is protected by law in this country. you cannot by law shoot a wood pigeon in your back garden or a sparrow or starling, but if said critters are causing problems then DEFRA puts them on a list as legitimate quarry.

Responsible hunters and controlers do not run around the countryside shooting fur and feather just because they can.

Bodger



Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 13510

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Tahir
Whether you agree with mink being there in the first place doesn't matter . They were there and now thanks to some mindless bunny huggers who know nothing about the countryside they are everywhere decimating this countries wildlife.

Surprise ! surprise whose expected to pick up the pieces ? The very people that they denigrate so vehmently ! The hunters.

We don't live in an ideal world, so just get real folks please.

Are we having fun yet?

Bodger



Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 13510

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Silas wrote:
bodger wrote:
Are we supposed to turn the other cheek or do something practical ?
n.


Yes, do something practical, fence them in properly.


Silas get real ! Explain how you fence lambs in on open grassland ?

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

bodger wrote:
Whether you agree with mink being there in the first place doesn't matter


True, now they're there they need to be dealt with.

Silas



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 6848
Location: Staffordshire
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

bodger wrote:
Tahir
Whether you agree with mink being there in the first place doesn't matter . They were there and now thanks to some mindless bunny huggers who know nothing about the countryside they are everywhere decimating this countries wildlife.

Surprise ! surprise whose expected to pick up the pieces ? The very people that they denigrate so vehmently ! The hunters.

We don't live in an ideal world, so just get real folks please.

Are we having fun yet?



Well, you are blaming 'bunny huggers' for the problem.

Firstly, they should not have been here in the first place - no buts, they should nit have been here.

Second, Some would have escaped anyway and started breeding colonies - it always happens.

Thirdly, I certainly do not agree that they should have been released into the wild.

Fourthly, they are a non-native species and should be eradicated properly and humanely as they upset the natural ecobalance.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Silas wrote:
Fourthly, they are a non-native species and should be eradicated properly and humanely as they upset the natural ecobalance.


How do you eradicate them "properly and humanely"?

Silas



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 6848
Location: Staffordshire
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

tahir wrote:
Silas wrote:
Fourthly, they are a non-native species and should be eradicated properly and humanely as they upset the natural ecobalance.


How do you eradicate them "properly and humanely"?


Not by using gin traps as I have seen.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Silas wrote:
Not by using gin traps as I have seen.


What's a gin trap? I (and I believe bodger and SC) am advocating responsible means of pest control, not killing for a laugh.

Snap Cap



Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 553
Location: Outside a warren armed to the teeth.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Well silas bunny huggers or Anti's whatever you want to call them cause more problems than what they try to fight!

There was an instance early this year when a group of Anti's released tame deer into the wild that where promptly shot by stalkers. Ohhh home run!

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I'll just state right now that I'm not comfortable with labels like "bunny huggers" etc. People are entitled to have their views on what constitutes acceptable means of population control, but as long as those hunters that are out there are working within the law then I can't see an issue.

Illegal hunting is not something that I'd support in any way shape or form.

Snap Cap



Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 553
Location: Outside a warren armed to the teeth.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I have trapped many a mink and humainly despatched it. you cannot guarantee a clean kill with an Air rifle as they bob thier heads too much and what with constant irratic movement make for near on impossible shot so trapping them is the only method. They are also vicious little gits and should not be underestimated in that cage.

Silas



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 6848
Location: Staffordshire
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 06 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Snap Cap wrote:
Well silas bunny huggers or Anti's whatever you want to call them cause more problems than what they try to fight!

There was an instance early this year when a group of Anti's released tame deer into the wild that where promptly shot by stalkers. Ohhh home run!


Probably shot by the same bunch of hooray henries that release captive foxes to 'hunt'

'Touche'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com