Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Humanely catching rabbits
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 
 Message
Lloyd



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 2699

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 3:33 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

God, you lucky so and so!...We have very few rabbits here, despite it all being farmland. I can only attribute that to the large numbers of birds of prey here. I see two or three varieties every single day. Never see a rabbit though

DarrenG



Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 110
Location: Lincolnshire Fens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Cab wrote:
DarrenG wrote:
what you are talking about is longnetting, I only wish it was as easy as it appears in yr post, firstly, you need a strong wind in the right direction, the rabbits need to be feeding at least 150yds out from the warrens, and it needs to be a moon lit night, and the dog has to be able to quarter and know when to put the pressure on a fleeing rabbit and when not to, and btw most lurchers dont kill the rabbits but return them live to hand.
As for snares they are not indiscriminate if set correctly in the right place, if done properly a cat will NOT get caught in a rabbit snare, solely because of their different movement styles


As I don't know how best to set a snare to avoid catching a cat, and as my mates housemate has a cat, I'll avoid snaring. But out of curiousity how do you set a snare such that cats don't get caught?

Trapping may be the best way forward; I'll most likely be able to find such things. What should I look for in a trap?
how to set a snare cant be explained needs to be shown, live catch traps can be laid anywhere in the vicinity with a couple of carrots in, and they will work, pm yr snail mail and I'll send you, one, you can send it back when you are finished

cab



Joined: 01 Nov 2004
Posts: 32429

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Madman wrote:
God, you lucky so and so!...We have very few rabbits here, despite it all being farmland. I can only attribute that to the large numbers of birds of prey here. I see two or three varieties every single day. Never see a rabbit though


Ain't my garden, it's a friend who lives a short train ride away. And he's never going to eat the rabbits!

cab



Joined: 01 Nov 2004
Posts: 32429

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

DarrenG wrote:

how to set a snare cant be explained needs to be shown, live catch traps can be laid anywhere in the vicinity with a couple of carrots in, and they will work, pm yr snail mail and I'll send you, one, you can send it back when you are finished


Hmmm... I think I'll investigate buying a couple of said rabbit traps as a present for this guy. Then I can help him christen them:)

Cheers for the advice.

DarrenG



Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 110
Location: Lincolnshire Fens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

no point in buying them if theres only a few like I said I'll lend you one

DarrenG



Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 110
Location: Lincolnshire Fens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

judyofthewoods wrote:
. Ferreting is supposed to be humane if done properly, though I read about some disgusting individuals sewing up the ferrets mouth - urban mith perhaps? I hope so, but tend to believe it. The .

definately urban myth I cant imagine anyone sewing a ferrets mouth up, after all you'd have to buy a new ferret everytime you wanted to go feretting because the last one would have starved to death.Find me proof of a prosecution ever for sewing a ferrets mouth up and I'll give you 100 no doubt you read about it in some antis magazine

cab



Joined: 01 Nov 2004
Posts: 32429

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

DarrenG wrote:
no point in buying them if theres only a few like I said I'll lend you one


It ain't a few rabbits down there, I see this as a huge sustainable form of protein

judyofthewoods



Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 804
Location: Pembrokeshire
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

DarrenG wrote:
judyofthewoods wrote:
. Ferreting is supposed to be humane if done properly, though I read about some disgusting individuals sewing up the ferrets mouth - urban mith perhaps? I hope so, but tend to believe it. The .

definately urban myth I cant imagine anyone sewing a ferrets mouth up, after all you'd have to buy a new ferret everytime you wanted to go feretting because the last one would have starved to death.Find me proof of a prosecution ever for sewing a ferrets mouth up and I'll give you 100 no doubt you read about it in some antis magazine


I actually read it in an article written by someone who hunts with ferrets, and if I remember rightly she said it was done with wire, and of course taken out after the hunt. Lack of procecution is certainly no evidence that these things don't happen. Successful procecutions are very difficult as the evidence has to be beyond reasonable doubt. With the defence claiming things like 'Ididn't do it' or 'I found the poor ferret wandering the road' etc. most get off, and the few that might be procecuted, might only find their story in some local paper. If it wasn't for the dedication and risk to their own welfare of antis, then badger baiting would still be an urban myth. I am not opposed to killing for the pot, as long as it is done humanly, and personally I believe the humanest way is to shoot an unsuspecting animal and use a gun dog to retrieve it. Implicit in the word humane would be things like observing breeding seasons, having done lots of target practice first and being a good shot, using the right gun, and a well trained dog, and knowing how to dispatch an animal, should it only be injured, something that should learn from a practiced person, and not a book. And better still, if the animal is regarded as a pest, like rabbits, which might otherwise be killed in far less humane ways.
In this valey I have confronted a number of hunters who have strayed onto my land (and elsewhere), and there is a distinct difference between the pot hunters - usually very polite and appologetic, usually with a gun and a gun dog, and then there have been the pleasure hunters, a viscious lot. It is sad that the pot hunters get tarred with the same brush.

DarrenG



Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 110
Location: Lincolnshire Fens
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

[quote="judyofthewoods"]
DarrenG wrote:
[I actually read it in an article written by someone who hunts with ferrets, and if I remember rightly she said it was done with wire, and of course taken out after the hunt. Lack of procecution is certainly no evidence that these things don't happen. Successful procecutions are very difficult as the evidence has to be beyond reasonable doubt. With the defence claiming things like 'Ididn't do it' or 'I found the poor ferret wandering the road' etc. most get off, and the few that might be procecuted, might only find their story in some local paper. If it wasn't for the dedication and risk to their own welfare of antis, then badger baiting would still be an urban myth. I am not opposed to killing for the pot, as long as it is done humanly, and personally I believe the humanest way is to shoot an unsuspecting animal and use a gun dog to retrieve it. Implicit in the word humane would be things like observing breeding seasons, having done lots of target practice first and being a good shot, using the right gun, and a well trained dog, and knowing how to dispatch an animal, should it only be injured, something that should learn from a practiced person, and not a book. And better still, if the animal is regarded as a pest, like rabbits, which might otherwise be killed in far less humane ways.
In this valey I have confronted a number of hunters who have strayed onto my land (and elsewhere), and there is a distinct difference between the pot hunters - usually very polite and appologetic, usually with a gun and a gun dog, and then there have been the pleasure hunters, a viscious lot. It is sad that the pot hunters get tarred with the same brush.
you are talking utter b.ollocks, for starters no editor would condone an illegal practise the ferret would carry scars so a prosecution could be done, also it is very difficult to prevent a ferret from skulking(becoming hand shy and refusing to come out) so sewing its lips up, it would definately do a runner, once again 100 if you can show me this article.Now then as for badger baiting there has NEVER been a prosecution brought before a court in this land whether successfull or not for badger baiting, so its far to say it doesnt go on, there have been plenty of prosecutions for badger digging successfull and successfull, who needs antis when there are people like you spouting pure lies, I challange you show me this article where the woman claims she sews her ferrets mouths up.Infact I am going to print this page and give a copy of it to the RSPCA along with yr isp no. so that they can follow it up with your help and prosecute this woman for cruelty to her ferrets, I assume you dont have a problem with that

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I've never heard of the practice myself. I've never ferreted but have read a fair few bit's and bobs with people admitting various sorts of things but I've not seen this. I wouldn't emagine the ferret would be of any use if this was done.

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41968
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Having kept ferrets myself (though not for some time), the mouth sewing thing seems extremely unlikely to me. You'd certainly only get to do it once, and a good ferret is worth hanging onto.

DarrenG



Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 110
Location: Lincolnshire Fens
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

well said Treacs anyone with an ounce of sense can see the ferret would be no good she shouldnt be allowed to post such crap unless she can back it up, as I have asked her to do twice now

judyofthewoods



Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 804
Location: Pembrokeshire
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

[/quote].... I challange you show me this article where the woman claims she sews her ferrets mouths up.......and prosecute this woman for cruelty to her ferrets, I assume you dont have a problem with that[/quote]

Careful how you read things before wanting to part with 100. I said I read it in an article written by someone who hunts with ferrets, not that the person who wrote the article practices it. As someone practicing it on a regular basis she was probably well versed in the goings on in the field, whether through literature or pier contact. In fact she condemned the practice, and made the point that neither ferret nor rabbit should suffer unnecessarily, and that ferreting when done properly, is one of the humanest ways to kill rabits. I am just quoting her, don't shoot the messanger. Oh, and if I can lay my hands on that article, you will honor your offer? I could do with 100.
As for badger baiting not existing, read carefully again, there is no mention of procecution as evidence of existance. Antis have risked their own wellfare secretly filming badger baiting, and these films have been show in television documentaries. The technicalities in court may be 'digging' rather than 'baiting', but baiting being an urban myth? I wish. Now, it is just possible that those films were staged, after all the moon landing never took place, did it?

Gervase



Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Posts: 8655

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I have to say in my ferretting days I never heard of anyone doing that. No-one in their right mind would want to get their fingers near the teeth of a seriously disgruntled ferret!
Best practice is to make sure they're not hungry when you hunt, as that will stop them lying up with a rabbit underground. It's not foolproof - which is why ferretting can mean sweaty work with a spade at times. Techno ferretters now use little radio collars to help them locate the little beggars if they do lie up.

cab



Joined: 01 Nov 2004
Posts: 32429

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Found a supplier of traps locally, cycling past a shop on the way back to work from a meeting. Very handy; fourteen quid a shot. Too big to cycle with, in the box; how silly to sell something that's collapsible for easy transport un-collapsed to make it harder to get home!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com