Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Maddenning!!!
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 
 Message
NeathChris



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 1387
Location: Neath, South Wales
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 7:15 pm    Post subject: Maddenning!!!  Reply with quote    

I was approached by a very high profile company that sell meat and meat products, won many awards and such, i wont name them. They offered to buy the pigs off me for 1.10kg deadweight, i said no. I have just looked on their website, they sell 3 2kg boned joints in a box, 6kg of meat for ....63 !! And all i would recieve for 6 kilo of meat is 6.60. I know they have costs but what a mark up, really has wound me up! Its the exact same meat i sell for no where near that price, im just in shock!

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

And that's exactly why I keep banging on at all our small scale producers to sell on here, cut out the middle man, sell at a decent price, PLEASE.

jema
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 26648
Location: escaped from Swindon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

It would be really good to see more of this sort of trade, everyone benefits from it.

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41985
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Except perhaps the pigs.

boisdevie1



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3897
Location: Lancaster
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I just wonder if there isn't a market for a company that could buy from small producers at a fair price and then sell it on. yes, companies have overheads but that kind of mark up you mentioned is just taking the p1ss.

NeathChris



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 1387
Location: Neath, South Wales
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I sell it for about 3kg whole or half pig killed, cut, and butchered up neatly and set in a box, alot cheaper and more value for money.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 20809
Location: sunny wales
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

NeathChris wrote:
I sell it for about 3kg whole or half pig killed, cut, and butchered up neatly and set in a box, alot cheaper and more value for money.


And it is indeed excellent value, and seriously delicious as well. You stick to your guns Chris, your meat will start selling itself before long I'm sure as a few more of us get to try it.

NeathChris



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 1387
Location: Neath, South Wales
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I will definatley persevere selling locally and online, i'd rather sell it at a better price for me and the customer. Alot of meat from this company goes to london big wigs i am told. part of our ethos i getting every section of the community eating better priced local feed thats good for them.

Wombat



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 396
Location: SW Cheshire
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

But Tahir, I posted below and have had no interest???

http://forum.downsizer.net/about17758.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Cathryn



Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Posts: 19830
Location: Ceredigion
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Chris I will definitely try and get a half pig off you - if my two other contacts don't have any available. There's no one on here closer to me.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Wombat wrote:
But Tahir, I posted below and have had no interest???

http://forum.downsizer.net/about17758.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15


We;ll there's no guarantees but all of us at Downsizer are passionately commited tohelping small producers (of anything) to get fair access to punters who perhaps otherwise couldn't afford to buy decent meat.

To all of you I would say pimp yourself and your produce mercilessley on the Trading Post, that's what we put it there for.

As you know Rob sells quite alot through here, Chris has had some success, we want to build on that.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hebrideans eh? I'm thinking of getting some of them....

nettie



Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 5886
Location: Suffolk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 06 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Wombat I don't know how you could get the half lamb to me but I'd be interested, I take it it's in the Freezer?

Rob R



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 31902
Location: York
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 06 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

NeathChris wrote:
I was approached by a very high profile company that sell meat and meat products, won many awards and such, i wont name them. They offered to buy the pigs off me for 1.10kg deadweight, i said no. I have just looked on their website, they sell 3 2kg boned joints in a box, 6kg of meat for ....63 !! And all i would recieve for 6 kilo of meat is 6.60. I know they have costs but what a mark up, really has wound me up! Its the exact same meat i sell for no where near that price, im just in shock!


tahir wrote:
And that's exactly why I keep banging on at all our small scale producers to sell on here, cut out the middle man, sell at a decent price, PLEASE.


That's pretty much what I did- had an extra Dexter bull for sale, offered it to a 'farm shop' (I won't name them, but I certainly won't recommend them either) who offered a little less than commercial per kg going rate + I had to pay the killing charges. Went home, took a look on their website & calculated that at less than their prices I could sell a quarter & chuck the rest away for a bigger margin (And I would bet the lot on mine tasting better than their Simmental x steers any day). The rest is history.

Wombat



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 396
Location: SW Cheshire
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 06 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Quote:
We;ll there's no guarantees but all of us at Downsizer are passionately commited tohelping small producers (of anything) to get fair access to punters who perhaps otherwise couldn't afford to buy decent meat.

To all of you I would say pimp yourself and your produce mercilessley on the Trading Post, that's what we put it there for.

As you know Rob sells quite alot through here, Chris has had some success, we want to build on that.


Appreciate that it is not guaranteed Tahir.
I will continue to pimp myself and products, as much as possible!
See my new business
www.cheshireoakstructures.co.uk

Wombat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com