Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Road Kill
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 
 Message
Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 04 9:30 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

andrewheywood wrote:
heavens above!!! food snob alert!!! food snob alert !!! food snob alert!!!

You HAVE shopped in super markets and bother to deny it

food snobs - get real


I didn't say I never shopped at Supermarkets. I have, like most people, and do. I have purchased chicken (admittedly mostly organic but this is out of choice not snobbery), but I haven't for over a year after thinking about things.

I also keep pet hens and I will eat chicken again when I hatch my own. Again, not snobbery, but because I increasingly feel I should take more responsibility for my actions.

Finally, means I was joking where I come from.

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41950
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 04 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

andrewheywood wrote:
heavens above!!! food snob alert!!! food snob alert !!! food snob alert!!!

You HAVE shopped in super markets and bother to deny it


food snobs - get real

It isn't a matter of snobbishness. I have never bought a pre-cooked chicken from a supermarket, and I have no intention of ever doing so.If you can't get to grips with the idea that people care about what they eat then I can only suggest that you go elsewhere.

Guest






PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 04 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Of course shopping in Supermarket is NOT snobbery - but chastising others for doing it IS. - But if u were only joking then lets forget the whole thing.

Being new here - tell me how do I contact the administrator? as I want to suggest somethings for the forum - like a "Newbie" section where new people can introduce them selves and tell people were they stand in the "downsizing" world and allows old hands on the forum to say "hi" and offer tips to newcommers etc ....

Guest






PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 04 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hi Sean - U are most definately a snob - "may I suggest" that you go and get some anti-snooty pills

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 04 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I would not say snob, perhaps aware would be a better word. I've seen and read how broiler chickens are raised and have posted my dislike at the practice in various places.

I have no idea how the pre-cooked birds are raised but I would think they are raised just like the average broiler.

When it comes to chickens, especially on a site like this, I think most people would voice their concerns about buying from a supermarket. You could always start a pole in 'Does it really Matter'

BTW, I tend to not eat meat rather than buy meat that I have doubts about how it's raised, so it's not a question of being a rich snob who can afford organic chicken either.

But we are getting away from the topic of road kill...

Legion



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 170
Location: Western isles, Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 04 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

andrewheywood wrote:
The "never eat road kill period" comment because they may have been poisioned is just plain ignorant. Of all the road kill I have eaten (say about 20 pheasant, 6 hare, 12 rabbit and 1 deer) I have enjoyed all of them and they were very tasty.



facts are fact - and urban myths are just stories put about by lunes.

thankyou


Fact!! one of our scientist chappies who is in volved in re populating some regions with wildcats also runs a breeding programme or rather he did until he poisoned 3 and killed them with picking up and feeding them road kill - I'll pass on to him he's a lune eh? enjoy your tesco snap - tesco

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 04 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hi Legion, I had a feeling you knew what you were talking about. Sorry to hear that.

Legion



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 170
Location: Western isles, Scotland
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 04 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Thanks for that treacle , our motto is that you can never be too careful! even wild rabbits caught are opened, partially gutted and inspected - anything thats not right is buried (ie enlarged intestines, discoloured liver, yellow fat, even mixy). We darent risk feeding the wildcats or the ferrets anything that might be suspect healthwise, the risk in our opinion is too great.

As for the scientist, well he was gutted to loose such precious and rare animals, he wont be picking up roadkill again.
But! hey its just our opinion - and in 10yrs have lost only one cat due to old age ( we got her stuffed she is now in our local museum, with her kitten - although we managed to hand rear the three others ), we lent her to them as an exhibit.


Guest






PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 04 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

A life lived in fear is a life half lived -

Eat road kill if you kill it yourself

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41950
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 04 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Anonymous wrote:
A life lived in fear is a life half lived -



Possibly, but a life cut short by eating stuff that's toxic is definitely only part lived.

Guest






PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 04 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

That is my point m8 IT IS NOT TOXIC - there may be a tiny tiny percentage that has is but that's is life. Why live in fear of it? You are depriving yourself of nice wholesome wild food.

Do you say to yourself "I'm not going to cross the road because there is a tiny chance of you getting run over by a car"?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 04 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Anonymous wrote:
Do you say to yourself "I'm not going to cross the road because there is a tiny chance of you getting run over by a car"?


No, but I look both ways first I just think it's good to be aware.

Anonymous wrote:
You are depriving yourself of nice wholesome wild food.


Not quite, I'll wait and catch my own.

Guest






PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 04 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

well you obviously you would not eat a rabbit with mixi - But stop scare-mongering! Just go for it when it come to road kill !!!

My tips are :
1/
Rabbit - gut them immediately, use your car key to puncture the upper chest cavity and tear down by inserting index fingers. A nearby stream would be useful to clean up.
2/
Hare - hang for 1 week head DOWN, gut it outside by suspending it from a tree / cloth line so it is head level. Once the guts are exposed use a Tesco shopping bag (joke) like you do with dog dooos and get it out in a oner!
3/
Pheasant - hang for 1 week head UP, then follow same for hares.
4/
Drive a fast car so you can kill more of the tasty blighters

PS the previous "Guests" posts were me

andrewheywood



Joined: 09 Dec 2004
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 04 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

previous post was me -

Legion



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 170
Location: Western isles, Scotland
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 04 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Enough said

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com