Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Survival-A Place Without Uzis!?
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Author 
 Message
Le Loup



Joined: 26 Apr 2010
Posts: 91
Location: New England Australia.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 9:50 am    Post subject: Survival-A Place Without Uzis!?  Reply with quote    

I was wondering if this would be a good site to have a survival forum on. One without sub machine guns etc!!! An open forum for any survival situation scenario, from wilderness survival to if the SHTF.
Regards, Le Loup.

Brownbear



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 14929
Location: South West
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Sounds interesting, though not to everyone's taste I dare say. I agree about the Uzis though - useful as they are for killing people, anything of your wilderness survival type or nature would be better served with a good bolt rifle.

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21298
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Brownbear wrote:
Sounds interesting, though not to everyone's taste I dare say. I agree about the Uzis though - useful as they are for killing people, anything of your wilderness survival type or nature would be better served with a good bolt rifle.


Don't forget falling block rifles either or..

Agreed, it would possibly make a good thread from those interested and combined information from a number of existing disparate threads such as foraging etc. I'm not sure whether it's wise to be generic or make it specific to the fauna and flora of selected geographic locations.

Brownbear



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 14929
Location: South West
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

vegplot wrote:

Don't forget falling block rifles either or..



Bows and arrows? Hammers? Hammers are good, you never run out of bullets with a hammer.

cab



Joined: 01 Nov 2004
Posts: 32429

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Interesting idea.

Its true that web fora about bushcraft or survival do sometimes get dominated by the 'sit in the woods under a tarpaulin and burn a tin of beans on the campfire' brigade. Or, worse, the 'I'm ready for the apocalypse with my extensive armory. Hallelujah, praise the Lord, have a good day y'awll' brigade.

I think I wouldn't pitch it as 'survival', but I might be tempted to call it 'bushcraft' or something similar. Its a bit less daunting for outsiders, I reckon.

JB



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 7748
Location: 91° N
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Brownbear wrote:
Sounds interesting, though not to everyone's taste I dare say. I agree about the Uzis though - useful as they are for killing people, anything of your wilderness survival type or nature would be better served with a good bolt rifle.


Minced venison?

Brownbear



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 14929
Location: South West
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

cab wrote:
Or, worse, the 'I'm ready for the apocalypse with my extensive armory. Hallelujah, praise the Lord, have a good day y'awll' brigade.


Thing is, those chaps would end up praising the Lord and whooping whilst sharing out your carefully preserved stash of fruits, meat and veg, even as your bullet-riddled corpse cooled nearby. However antisocial, predatory violence would make perfect sense in such a situation.

cab



Joined: 01 Nov 2004
Posts: 32429

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Brownbear wrote:

Thing is, those chaps would end up praising the Lord and whooping whilst sharing out your carefully preserved stash of fruits, meat and veg, even as your bullet-riddled corpse cooled nearby. However antisocial, predatory violence would make perfect sense in such a situation.


Should I be eyeing up the neighbours to decide who would be most succulent?

Brownbear



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 14929
Location: South West
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

cab wrote:
Brownbear wrote:

Thing is, those chaps would end up praising the Lord and whooping whilst sharing out your carefully preserved stash of fruits, meat and veg, even as your bullet-riddled corpse cooled nearby. However antisocial, predatory violence would make perfect sense in such a situation.


Should I be eyeing up the neighbours to decide who would be most succulent?


It would make more sense to take away their resources and then enslave them to cultivate land for you. Only devour them if you're really, really peckish or if they're quite weak and thus unable to toil in the fields.

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21298
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Won't they be a bit stringy by then?

Bulgarianlily



Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 1667
Location: South West Mountains of Bulgaria
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Obviously I have moved to the wrong place.

Even the weakest old grannies here could make mincemeat of me (and probably have a recipe for it involving home made rakia).

Brownbear



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 14929
Location: South West
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 10 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

vegplot wrote:
Won't they be a bit stringy by then?


I was thinking more of the 'couch potato' type who may come in quite handy as a source of protein in the early days. You could make the leftovers into salami and it should keep for ages.

Failing that, you could make them fight each other to the death in an arena, and charge admission.

Le Loup



Joined: 26 Apr 2010
Posts: 91
Location: New England Australia.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 10 12:31 am    Post subject: Survival Forum. Reply with quote    

How about " Survival Crafts, Skills and Equipment"

Or " Crafts, Skills and Equipment for Urban and Wilderness Survival"

cab



Joined: 01 Nov 2004
Posts: 32429

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 10 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I think I'd just call it 'bushcraft'.

mochyn



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 24569
Location: mid-Wales
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 10 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

cab wrote:
I think I'd just call it 'bushcraft'.


That's what I like. Economy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright © 2004 marsjupiter.com