Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
screen that chickens won't eat
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Author 
 Message
bibbster



Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Posts: 1233
Location: Just a bit inland from Aberaeron
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:22 pm    Post subject: screen that chickens won't eat  Reply with quote    

I have a psot and rail fence which needs screening, so would like to plant some climbers up and along it. BUT I also have chickens. Can anyone suggest plants that chickens will not eat to pieces

Chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35907
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I am experimenting with this ... I reckon that if it gets big enough they won't destroy it ... I'm going to put clematis inside wire thingies to give it a head start and get it above the hen's heads ... . I am also going for buddleia and raspberries. Bamboo is supposed to be good.

judith



Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 22789
Location: Montgomeryshire
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nettles

Chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35907
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

They eat them if you scythe them down, though

judith



Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 22789
Location: Montgomeryshire
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Would it make me a bad Downsizer if I say that I'm going to glyphosate mine this weekend?

judith



Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 22789
Location: Montgomeryshire
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

But back to the regularly scheduled programme, they don't seem to touch honeysuckle.

Chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35907
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I hope you are going to pick the nice bits to make wine from before you do that.

Honeysuckle I haven't tried ... will add it to my list.

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41983
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

judith wrote:
Would it make me a bad Downsizer if I say that I'm going to glyphosate mine this weekend?


Yes. You should be making wine out of them. Say some Hail Marys or something.

bibbster



Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Posts: 1233
Location: Just a bit inland from Aberaeron
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Chez wrote:
I am experimenting with this ... I reckon that if it gets big enough they won't destroy it ... I'm going to put clematis inside wire thingies to give it a head start and get it above the hen's heads ... . I am also going for buddleia and raspberries. Bamboo is supposed to be good.


sounds good to me. I really want something with flowers on, have enough raspberries elsewhere, so I may try clematis. Bamboo would be good too for canes, but how long does it take to grow?

bibbster



Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Posts: 1233
Location: Just a bit inland from Aberaeron
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

judith wrote:
Nettles


Still working on a duck/duckling visit, I need a relaxing me day. Are you around next Tuesday?

Last edited by bibbster on Thu May 06, 10 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41983
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

alibibby wrote:
Bamboo would be good too for canes, but how long does it take to grow?


Not very long at all.

judith



Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 22789
Location: Montgomeryshire
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Chez wrote:
I hope you are going to pick the nice bits to make wine from before you do that.


I have decided to leave wine-making to the people who do it well, and simply admire their handiwork.

And my chickens seem to ignore sweet peas once they have got going.

Chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35907
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I think there are lots of different kinds. I will enquire of my Horticultural Professional Mother tomorrow.

judith



Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 22789
Location: Montgomeryshire
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

sean wrote:
Yes. You should be making wine out of them. Say some Hail Marys or something.


I have enough nettles to keep my darts team in a permanent state of inebriation for months!

bibbster



Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Posts: 1233
Location: Just a bit inland from Aberaeron
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 10 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

judith wrote:
Chez wrote:
I hope you are going to pick the nice bits to make wine from before you do that.


I have decided to leave wine-making to the people who do it well, and simply admire their handiwork.

And my chickens seem to ignore sweet peas once they have got going.


Sweet peas . lovely idea, easy to grow even for me and lots of nice smelling flowers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com