Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere - new Radio 4 adaptation
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 
 Message
Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 13 10:51 am    Post subject: Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere - new Radio 4 adaptation Reply with quote
    

Starts Sat 16th March at 14.30

Sounds like a good adaptation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p015pkw8

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p015s82k

mochyn



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 24581
Location: mid-Wales
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 13 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

I'll listen out for that.

chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35931
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 13 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Really looking forward to it.

Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 13 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Chez wrote:
Really looking forward to it.


Me too. I remember the original TV series and read the book a few years ago. This new radio version promises to be good.

chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35931
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 13 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

We have the book and every so often get the TV series out on Lovefilm. It's such a brilliant idea.

arvo



Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 3321
Location: Somerset
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

*Love* the BBC wobbly sets TV version.

*Love* Neil Gaiman. Have made my short-term goal in life to get Boy Wonder hooked on Sandman

wellington womble



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Posts: 15047
Location: East Midlands
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

I've only read good omens (and blueberry girl!) do you think I'd like Neil Gaiman? What's a good book to start with?

Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

American Gods and Anansi Boys are two of my fav books ever. Such good books. I'd recommend starting with the former, the long version if you can get it.

It is one of my goals to slip further into geekdom and read the Sandman series and Buffy season 8

Last edited by Mithril on Tue Mar 05, 13 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

arvo



Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 3321
Location: Somerset
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

wellington womble wrote:
I've only read good omens (and blueberry girl!) do you think I'd like Neil Gaiman? What's a good book to start with?


You could go all out and try a graphic novel, Sandman is very cleverly written and has some amazing stories in it.

If you've got to have your writing with no pictures, try Stardust, or American Gods.

Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

arvo wrote:
wellington womble wrote:
I've only read good omens (and blueberry girl!) do you think I'd like Neil Gaiman? What's a good book to start with?


You could go all out and try a graphic novel, Sandman is very cleverly written and has some amazing stories in it.

If you've got to have your writing with no pictures, try Stardust, or American Gods.


Apparently, NG is in the midst of writing more Sandman stories. I saw it on his FB page. There are some very excited fans out there

arvo



Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 3321
Location: Somerset
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Ooh, ooh

You should definitely read Sandman Mithril. Best graphic novel series ever.
Beautiful stories, fantastic artwork.

mochyn



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 24581
Location: mid-Wales
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

There's a lovely edition of Stardust with illustrations by Charles Vess.

Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 13 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

arvo wrote:
Ooh, ooh

You should definitely read Sandman Mithril. Best graphic novel series ever.
Beautiful stories, fantastic artwork.

I will, although I think I'll need to save up first. Is this the one to start with? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Absolute-Sandman-vol-1-/111024874661?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Graphic_Novels_ET&hash=item19d99924a5

Edit: Oh, and he has a new book coming out soon too
https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Ocean-at-End-Lane/dp/1472200314

arvo



Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 3321
Location: Somerset
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 13 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Mithril wrote:
arvo wrote:
Ooh, ooh

You should definitely read Sandman Mithril. Best graphic novel series ever.
Beautiful stories, fantastic artwork.

I will, although I think I'll need to save up first. Is this the one to start with? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Absolute-Sandman-vol-1-/111024874661?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Graphic_Novels_ET&hash=item19d99924a5


Yes that's it. Though that edition is the plush new one. If you search for 'complete sandman series' you'll probably find the whole 10 books for about 50 quid.

Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 13 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

arvo wrote:
Mithril wrote:
arvo wrote:
Ooh, ooh

You should definitely read Sandman Mithril. Best graphic novel series ever.
Beautiful stories, fantastic artwork.

I will, although I think I'll need to save up first. Is this the one to start with? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Absolute-Sandman-vol-1-/111024874661?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Graphic_Novels_ET&hash=item19d99924a5


Yes that's it. Though that edition is the plush new one. If you search for 'complete sandman series' you'll probably find the whole 10 books for about 50 quid.


I'll keep an eye out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com