Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Which nail to use
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Author 
 Message
JB



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 7752
Location: 91° N
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 12 1:32 pm    Post subject: Which nail to use  Reply with quote    

Why would I use one nail rather than another? I know what length I want but then I look at what I can get and there are lost heads, brights, ovals, galvanised, etc. Is there a simple rule of thumb to knowing which nail for which job (other than the ones you've got )

Midland Spinner



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 2931
Location: Under a green roof
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 12 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I'm not a nail expert but here's a few things:

Oval nails go in along the grain & therefore are less likely to split the wood.

Galvanised are good if you don't want them to rust (but tend to have big heads).

Some nails have big heads which don't look very nice so you want to poke the head down into the wood to hide it. But if you are e.g. putting up fencing you want the security of a big head, and don't mind if it's visible. Other nails can be punched down below the surface to hide them.

Rosehead are good for a decorative finish if you want to see the heads.

Feel free to chip in with other reasons people.

12Bore



Joined: 15 Jun 2008
Posts: 9088
Location: Paddling in the Mersey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 12 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

There's only one rule of thumb, don't hit it with the hammer!

12Bore



Joined: 15 Jun 2008
Posts: 9088
Location: Paddling in the Mersey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 12 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Ring nails are less likely to work loose than smooth.

sgt.colon



Joined: 27 Jul 2009
Posts: 6637
Location: Just south of north.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 12 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

12Bore wrote:
There's only one rule of thumb, don't hit it with the hammer!




Lost head nails are good for things like skirting board and architrave. You can just give them a last tap in with that thingy (sorry can't remember what it's called and no 12Bore, it's not the hammer I'm talking about ) and then cover with wood filler.

12Bore



Joined: 15 Jun 2008
Posts: 9088
Location: Paddling in the Mersey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 12 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

sgt.colon wrote:
12Bore wrote:
There's only one rule of thumb, don't hit it with the hammer!




Lost head nails are good for things like skirting board and architrave. You can just give them a last tap in with that thingy (sorry can't remember what it's called and no 12Bore, it's not the hammer I'm talking about ) and then cover with wood filler.

Punch?

sgt.colon



Joined: 27 Jul 2009
Posts: 6637
Location: Just south of north.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 12 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

12Bore wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
12Bore wrote:
There's only one rule of thumb, don't hit it with the hammer!




Lost head nails are good for things like skirting board and architrave. You can just give them a last tap in with that thingy (sorry can't remember what it's called and no 12Bore, it's not the hammer I'm talking about ) and then cover with wood filler.

Punch?


That's the thing. Thanks.

digit



Joined: 23 Aug 2009
Posts: 88
Location: Neath,South Wales
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 12 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Should always use galvanized nails with tanalized timber

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 12 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

digit wrote:
Should always use galvanized nails with tanalized timber


Could you use stainless steel ones?

Deciding which nail to use is easier than screws & bolts. Those you have zinc plated, yellow passivated, BZP, lubricated, stainless S2 & S4 plus loads of other coatings and a multitude of heads, threads, points etc.

12Bore



Joined: 15 Jun 2008
Posts: 9088
Location: Paddling in the Mersey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 12 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Treacodactyl wrote:
digit wrote:
Should always use galvanized nails with tanalized timber


Could you use stainless steel ones?

Deciding which nail to use is easier than screws & bolts. Those you have zinc plated, yellow passivated, BZP, lubricated, stainless S2 & S4 plus loads of other coatings and a multitude of heads, threads, points etc.

and you only need 1 hammer, how many different screwdrivers are there?

onemanband



Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 1473
Location: NCA90
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 12 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

12Bore wrote:

and you only need 1 hammer, how many different screwdrivers are there?


2 hammers for nails - regular claw hammer job and a small hammer for pins/small nails.

I have a friend who is a bit OCD about using the correct screwdriver bit for the screw. I love winding him up by using a pz2 bit on philips screws - if it works and doesn't mash the screw what's the problem ?

onemanband



Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 1473
Location: NCA90
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 12 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Treacodactyl wrote:
digit wrote:
Should always use galvanized nails with tanalized timber


Could you use stainless steel ones?


Stainless stuff is usually more brittle.

Galvanized also has advantage of extra grip because of roughness of galvanizing - ever tried pulling out a 4inch galvanized ?

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21298
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 12 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

12Bore wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
digit wrote:
Should always use galvanized nails with tanalized timber


Could you use stainless steel ones?

Deciding which nail to use is easier than screws & bolts. Those you have zinc plated, yellow passivated, BZP, lubricated, stainless S2 & S4 plus loads of other coatings and a multitude of heads, threads, points etc.

and you only need 1 hammer, how many different screwdrivers are there?


I have at least 6 different types hammer.

onemanband



Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 1473
Location: NCA90
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 12 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

vegplot wrote:
12Bore wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
digit wrote:
Should always use galvanized nails with tanalized timber


Could you use stainless steel ones?

Deciding which nail to use is easier than screws & bolts. Those you have zinc plated, yellow passivated, BZP, lubricated, stainless S2 & S4 plus loads of other coatings and a multitude of heads, threads, points etc.

and you only need 1 hammer, how many different screwdrivers are there?


I have at least 6 different types hammer.


Hah I have at least 10 - but not all for nailing
ETA including mallets, mauls and toffee - about 18

digit



Joined: 23 Aug 2009
Posts: 88
Location: Neath,South Wales
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 12 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Treacodactyl wrote:
digit wrote:
Should always use galvanized nails with tanalized timber


Could you use stainless steel ones?

Deciding which nail to use is easier than screws & bolts. Those you have zinc plated, yellow passivated, BZP, lubricated, stainless S2 & S4 plus loads of other coatings and a multitude of heads, threads, points etc.


You can use stainless, but galv is cheaper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright © 2004 marsjupiter.com