Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Graham Crackers - substitute?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
 Message
lowri



Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Posts: 1319
Location: ceredigion
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 08 8:08 am    Post subject: Graham Crackers - substitute? Reply with quote
    

I have a recipe for Brandy Balls which includes Graham cracker crumbs. Yahoo and Wikipedia say the British equivalent is digestive biscuits. This is what I used, and the sweets taste of - digestive biscuits with a faint brandy flavour. There might well be no ground almonds in there at all! My sister in Canada, who gave me the recipe, says there is no good equivalent, and the flavour gets stronger if they are kept in an airtight container for as long as possible.
Anyone had this sort of problem with British conversions of North American recipes?

Went



Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Posts: 6968

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 08 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Graham Crackers - substitute? Reply with quote
    

lowri wrote:
I have a recipe for Brandy Balls which includes Graham cracker crumbs. Yahoo and Wikipedia say the British equivalent is digestive biscuits. This is what I used, and the sweets taste of - digestive biscuits with a faint brandy flavour. There might well be no ground almonds in there at all! My sister in Canada, who gave me the recipe, says there is no good equivalent, and the flavour gets stronger if they are kept in an airtight container for as long as possible.
Anyone had this sort of problem with British conversions of North American recipes?


Pumpkin Pie.....all the recipes I found used canned processed pumpkin but adapted it and is now fine....

bagpuss



Joined: 09 Dec 2004
Posts: 10507
Location: cambridge
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 08 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

I think most recipes which call for graham crackers in the US seem to use digestive in this country but I don't know how equivalent they are

nats



Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 2374
Location: Swindon but not a Swindonian
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 08 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

would rich tea biscuits work? Or even half and half rich tea and digestives?

Effie



Joined: 16 Nov 2008
Posts: 1087

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 08 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Graham Crackers - substitute? Reply with quote
    

Ian33568 wrote:
lowri wrote:

Anyone had this sort of problem with British conversions of North American recipes?


Pumpkin Pie.....all the recipes I found used canned processed pumpkin but adapted it and is now fine....


I found that - I LOVE pumpkin pie, it's one of my all time favourite things in the world.

Helen_A



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1548
Location: MK, Bucks.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 08 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Doves farm digestives aren't quite as sweet as others, American friend says that they are the closest she has found in UK to the 'classic' graham cracker.

Helen_A

Mr O



Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 5512
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 08 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

What is all purpose flour in North Amaerica?

bernie-woman



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 7824
Location: shropshire
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 08 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Mr O wrote:
What is all purpose flour in North Amaerica?


Plain flour

bernie-woman



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 7824
Location: shropshire
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 08 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

I am reliably informed by relatives in Canada that there is no equivalent to Graham crackers in the uk - digestives do not taste the same.

However, if you are passing a Selfridges at any time go into their food hall and you will be able to get all sorts of US ingredients in there

lowri



Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Posts: 1319
Location: ceredigion
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 08 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

I googled "graham flour" on my sister's advice and have found a recipe which I may try at some time. The yield given is 72! Think I shall have to halve it, but being American it is all CUPS! I have a set of measuring cups, but the exercise may involve frightful arithmetic, which may stall me!!
Thanks for everyone's comments - I prefer Dove's Digestives too, so might try them instead of the Co-op's!!

Nell Merionwen



Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 16300
Location: Beautiful Derbyshire
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 08 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

my wee two have become addicted to smores with graham crackers and hershey kisses.... sent to us by an american friend. they travel well by post...can anyone send you some? perhaps you could paypal the money over to one of our american counterparts?????

Effie



Joined: 16 Nov 2008
Posts: 1087

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 08 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Very pricey, but I think you can get them here from this website.

There is also a US foodstuffs ebay shop selling them here. Still quite expensive though.

Caparn



Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 12 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

nats wrote:
would rich tea biscuits work? Or even half and half rich tea and digestives?

The best match I've found is Malted Milk biscuits. Digestives crumble too easily and are too sweet. Mallted Milk are about the right texture and flavour. Maybe add a few ginger nuts of a proportion 3 malted milk to 1 ginger nut to get even nearer.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 35049
Location: Devon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 12 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Caparn wrote:
nats wrote:
would rich tea biscuits work? Or even half and half rich tea and digestives?

The best match I've found is Malted Milk biscuits. Digestives crumble too easily and are too sweet. Mallted Milk are about the right texture and flavour. Maybe add a few ginger nuts of a proportion 3 malted milk to 1 ginger nut to get even nearer.


What a very useful first post!

Welcome to the forum

WandaBlue



Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 40
Location: Sanday, Orkney
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 13 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Tower Gate digestives from Lidl are not too sweet and have quite a grainy texture compared to many. Unfortunately I have become addicted to them!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com