Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere - new Radio 4 adaptation
Page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 
 Message
chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35931
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 13 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

We have the book and every so often get the TV series out on Lovefilm. It's such a brilliant idea.

arvo



Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 3321
Location: Somerset
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

*Love* the BBC wobbly sets TV version.

*Love* Neil Gaiman. Have made my short-term goal in life to get Boy Wonder hooked on Sandman

wellington womble



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Posts: 15047
Location: East Midlands
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

I've only read good omens (and blueberry girl!) do you think I'd like Neil Gaiman? What's a good book to start with?

Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

American Gods and Anansi Boys are two of my fav books ever. Such good books. I'd recommend starting with the former, the long version if you can get it.

It is one of my goals to slip further into geekdom and read the Sandman series and Buffy season 8

Last edited by Mithril on Tue Mar 05, 13 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

arvo



Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 3321
Location: Somerset
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

wellington womble wrote:
I've only read good omens (and blueberry girl!) do you think I'd like Neil Gaiman? What's a good book to start with?


You could go all out and try a graphic novel, Sandman is very cleverly written and has some amazing stories in it.

If you've got to have your writing with no pictures, try Stardust, or American Gods.

Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

arvo wrote:
wellington womble wrote:
I've only read good omens (and blueberry girl!) do you think I'd like Neil Gaiman? What's a good book to start with?


You could go all out and try a graphic novel, Sandman is very cleverly written and has some amazing stories in it.

If you've got to have your writing with no pictures, try Stardust, or American Gods.


Apparently, NG is in the midst of writing more Sandman stories. I saw it on his FB page. There are some very excited fans out there

arvo



Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 3321
Location: Somerset
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Ooh, ooh

You should definitely read Sandman Mithril. Best graphic novel series ever.
Beautiful stories, fantastic artwork.

mochyn



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 24581
Location: mid-Wales
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

There's a lovely edition of Stardust with illustrations by Charles Vess.

Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 13 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

arvo wrote:
Ooh, ooh

You should definitely read Sandman Mithril. Best graphic novel series ever.
Beautiful stories, fantastic artwork.

I will, although I think I'll need to save up first. Is this the one to start with? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Absolute-Sandman-vol-1-/111024874661?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Graphic_Novels_ET&hash=item19d99924a5

Edit: Oh, and he has a new book coming out soon too
https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Ocean-at-End-Lane/dp/1472200314

arvo



Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 3321
Location: Somerset
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 13 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Mithril wrote:
arvo wrote:
Ooh, ooh

You should definitely read Sandman Mithril. Best graphic novel series ever.
Beautiful stories, fantastic artwork.

I will, although I think I'll need to save up first. Is this the one to start with? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Absolute-Sandman-vol-1-/111024874661?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Graphic_Novels_ET&hash=item19d99924a5


Yes that's it. Though that edition is the plush new one. If you search for 'complete sandman series' you'll probably find the whole 10 books for about 50 quid.

Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 13 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

arvo wrote:
Mithril wrote:
arvo wrote:
Ooh, ooh

You should definitely read Sandman Mithril. Best graphic novel series ever.
Beautiful stories, fantastic artwork.

I will, although I think I'll need to save up first. Is this the one to start with? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Absolute-Sandman-vol-1-/111024874661?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Graphic_Novels_ET&hash=item19d99924a5


Yes that's it. Though that edition is the plush new one. If you search for 'complete sandman series' you'll probably find the whole 10 books for about 50 quid.


I'll keep an eye out

WandaBlue



Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 40
Location: Sanday, Orkney
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 13 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

I have all of the Sandman books and I love them. The illustration starts off a little odd until it kind of settles on a look. I also have two T-shirts, one of Death and one of Dream. I do read his other books too, though, I don't insist on all of my reading matter having pictures...

Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 13 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

WandaBlue wrote:
I have all of the Sandman books and I love them. The illustration starts off a little odd until it kind of settles on a look. I also have two T-shirts, one of Death and one of Dream. I do read his other books too, though, I don't insist on all of my reading matter having pictures...



sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 42122
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 13 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

More stuff

Mithril



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 1755
Location: wessex
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 13 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

sean wrote:
More stuff


Yay, more stuff in the pipe line. Glad he's doing another Dr Who too - I loved his tardis episode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com