Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
I suppose it was inevitable
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 
 Message
Chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35907
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 9:58 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

Shan wrote:
Before you pursue the small claims route, send her a registered letter demanding payment within 3 working days and specify, that you will be pursuing a small claims route if payment is not made. Add to this that you will also be entitled to costs if the small claims route is pursued.


This usually works. I think there's a website somewhere with standard letter templates. I'll have a look in a tick.

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21298
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Send your invoice via registered letter with a very polite notice that non-payment will attract interest changes (8% above the base rate) plus permissible debt recovery fees (£40 in your case).

https://www.gov.uk/late-commercial-payments-interest-debt-recovery

Chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35907
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Edited, because Vegplot and I share a brain . That one's for companies that owe you money, I think.

But this is for private customers:

https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-taking-payment-from-customers/payment-obligations

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Posts: 22780
Location: In the 17th century
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Sorry to hear of woes OtleyLad; hope you get it sorted. I've generally found too that with the most are the more unwilling to give it up.
A.

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 35670
Location: yes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

a copy of the invoice ,a covering letter explaining that it may have been overlooked for payment and explaining that payment was due on completion and that if not forthcoming within x time interest will be added and legal action taken.

or a personal visit with a witness and copy invoice to explain the above if that is convenient

be polite and business like and give opportunity to pay up without escalation often does the trick

cant pay now, will pay soon is possible ,agree a date,
wont pay needs firmer measures

for the future written contracts with payment terms made clear helps a lot with such things and nearly always avoids such things

Flamin'Panda



Joined: 09 Feb 2014
Posts: 464
Location: Azores
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Sorry to hear of woes OtleyLad; hope you get it sorted. I've generally found too that with the most are the more unwilling to give it up.
A.


That's why they have more money in the first place!

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21298
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Chez wrote:
Edited, because Vegplot and I share a brain . That one's for companies that owe you money, I think.

But this is for private customers:

https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-taking-payment-from-customers/payment-obligations


It was your turn today wasn't it. I thought something was amiss.

onemanband



Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 1473
Location: NCA90
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

If you do anything that needs certifying(or should that be certificating?), then don't hand over the paperwork until you have been paid.

OtleyLad



Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 2737
Location: Otley, West Yorkshire
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Thanks for the support/advice.
I have sent an email, text and taken a letter to the GP practice where she works (she wasn't there today). In them all I have said she has until the 7th of March to pay in full or else I will submit my claim to the Small Claims Court (I mentioned the extra cost she would have to pay (plus interest) should this happen).
I have used the online facility a couple of times before and got my money back eventually - even though on one of the occaisions they got themselves a fine for contempt of court by ignoring the first judgement and ended paying more to the court than to me.

Hopefully the thought of that will change her mind.

Chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35907
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

That sounds good. Solicitors always seem to want to give people a couple of weeks to respond to this sort of thing, in order to be reasonable. Keep us posted!

Flamin'Panda



Joined: 09 Feb 2014
Posts: 464
Location: Azores
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Yup, keep us posted... Hope it all goes well

PS: Do we all get a drink when you get paid?

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 34030
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

OtleyLad wrote:
Thanks for the support/advice.
I have sent an email, text and taken a letter to the GP practice where she works (she wasn't there today). In them all I have said she has until the 7th of March to pay in full or else I will submit my claim to the Small Claims Court (I mentioned the extra cost she would have to pay (plus interest) should this happen).
I have used the online facility a couple of times before and got my money back eventually - even though on one of the occaisions they got themselves a fine for contempt of court by ignoring the first judgement and ended paying more to the court than to me.

Hopefully the thought of that will change her mind.


This is good, but, tbh, text and email aren't the best way. Hard copy, every time, when you need to press a point.

Nature'sgrafter



Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 527
Location: Sanday , Orkney
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

And just for fun the day before you take the small claim route make up a huge sign saying
"Dr X As you wont pay your bill for £xxxx tomorrow I will be taking you to a small claims court. May I take this opportunity to publicly name you as a bad credit risk to all small businessmen"
if you can park your car outside her surgery put the sign on the roof for all to see and phone the local papers.

Ty Gwyn



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 4266
Location: Lampeter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

[quote="onemanband:1389258"]What length of time are we looking at ?

From time the job was finished/Bill sent/handed over, to the present time?

12Bore



Joined: 15 Jun 2008
Posts: 9088
Location: Paddling in the Mersey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nick wrote:
OtleyLad wrote:
Thanks for the support/advice.
I have sent an email, text and taken a letter to the GP practice where she works (she wasn't there today). In them all I have said she has until the 7th of March to pay in full or else I will submit my claim to the Small Claims Court (I mentioned the extra cost she would have to pay (plus interest) should this happen).
I have used the online facility a couple of times before and got my money back eventually - even though on one of the occaisions they got themselves a fine for contempt of court by ignoring the first judgement and ended paying more to the court than to me.

Hopefully the thought of that will change her mind.


This is good, but, tbh, text and email aren't the best way. Hard copy, every time, when you need to press a point.

I believe that fax counts as legally "served".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright © 2004 marsjupiter.com