Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ideas for nourishing foods for the elderly
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
 Message
earthyvirgo



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 7972
Location: creating prints in the loft, Gerlan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 10:47 am    Post subject: Ideas for nourishing foods for the elderly  Reply with quote    

My Dad (who's 92) is just back home from hospital after a small prostate op. He coped incredibly well with the treatment and seems to be making a good recovery BUT he is ...I think, a bit underweight.

He's a mere 5' or so and weighs in at just under 8st, which shocked me a bit.

I am thinking about making and delivery some hearty, nourishing meals to build him up a bit. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Nothing fancy or spicy
He loves pasta, particularly spaghetti.

EV

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44276
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Our elderly neighbours across the road like shepherds pie, fish pie, even a bit of curry and rice

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44276
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I usually put green lentils in the shepherds pie for a bit of fibre, and loads of cheese on top for fat/calcium

earthyvirgo



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 7972
Location: creating prints in the loft, Gerlan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

tahir wrote:
Our elderly neighbours across the road like shepherds pie, fish pie, even a bit of curry and rice


I know Dad likes sheperd's pie.

Curry!! I can just see his face

EV

Pilsbury



Joined: 13 Dec 2004
Posts: 5645
Location: East london/Essex
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Have you worked out his bmi? It's not 100% but it gives a good guide.
for building up weight a perfect instrument is fortified milk, get ordinary full fat milk and whisk in milk powder, it increases the calorie and protein content and is completely unnoticable normally, use it in making soups, sauces, custard, blamange and tea and coffee and it will be fine, cream added will richer it up but is not to everyone's taste
creamy sauces so mushroom pasta or salmon and dill can absorb a lot of extra calories and macaroni cheese is practically delicious fat in a dish...
butter in mashed potatoes and over all veg before serving will work.
Mayonnaise in sandwich fillings or for jacket potatoes even cheese and onion bound with mayo is great.

Pilsbury



Joined: 13 Dec 2004
Posts: 5645
Location: East london/Essex
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Quiche and Spanish omelettes can beceaten warm or cold and if made with egg, cheese, fortified milk or cream and filled with a protein and carb will be a meal in itself, sausage onion and fried diced potatoes in there served with beans or a salad would work well

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44276
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Quiche is the other thing we do them

earthyvirgo



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 7972
Location: creating prints in the loft, Gerlan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Pilsbury wrote:
Have you worked out his bmi? It's not 100% but it gives a good guide.
for building up weight a perfect instrument is fortified milk, get ordinary full fat milk and whisk in milk powder, it increases the calorie and protein content and is completely unnoticable normally, use it in making soups, sauces, custard, blamange and tea and coffee and it will be fine, cream added will richer it up but is not to everyone's taste
creamy sauces so mushroom pasta or salmon and dill can absorb a lot of extra calories and macaroni cheese is practically delicious fat in a dish...
butter in mashed potatoes and over all veg before serving will work.
Mayonnaise in sandwich fillings or for jacket potatoes even cheese and onion bound with mayo is great.


Good point Pilsbury. He BMI is well within normal range.

I've just been told by vegplot not to interfere
EV

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 34027
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

It's a flan. Stop being all fancy pants.

mark



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Posts: 2186
Location: Leeds
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for nourishing foods for the elderly Reply with quote    

earthyvirgo wrote:
My Dad (who's 92) is just back home from hospital after a small prostate op. He coped incredibly well with the treatment and seems to be making a good recovery BUT he is ...I think, a bit underweight.

He's a mere 5' or so and weighs in at just under 8st, which shocked me a bit.

I am thinking about making and delivery some hearty, nourishing meals to build him up a bit. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Nothing fancy or spicy
He loves pasta, particularly spaghetti.

EV


Go with what he likes!
"foods for the elderly" is a bit of a dangerous concept - so don't be afraid to give him what HE as an individual likes..
Of course if he has difficulty chewing or has digestive problems you may have to modify that

Also if he is still feeling off colour he may find appetite suppressed and not manage big meals in which case little and often is the way to go to ensure he get sufficient carbs .

After illness and recovering from weight loss is the time eating those snacks, cakes and biscuits can be just what the doctor ordered!

Pilsbury



Joined: 13 Dec 2004
Posts: 5645
Location: East london/Essex
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

If his bmi is between 20 and 25 then leave him be. By all means make up meals for him, we do for friends, uncles and parents but they just need to be normal meals for now
the thing to watch now is unplanned weight loss, 5% over 3 months is worth noting, up to 10% need checking and finding the reason, over 10% is definite intervention with fortified foods. Or if his bmi drops to between 18 and 20 then find the reason, below 18 it's doctor and intervention time again

derbyshiredowser



Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 832
Location: derbyshire
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for nourishing foods for the elderly Reply with quote    

mark wrote:
earthyvirgo wrote:
My Dad (who's 92) is just back home from hospital after a small prostate op. He coped incredibly well with the treatment and seems to be making a good recovery BUT he is ...I think, a bit underweight.

He's a mere 5' or so and weighs in at just under 8st, which shocked me a bit.

I am thinking about making and delivery some hearty, nourishing meals to build him up a bit. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Nothing fancy or spicy
He loves pasta, particularly spaghetti.

EV


Go with what he likes!
"foods for the elderly" is a bit of a dangerous concept - so don't be afraid to give him what HE as an individual likes..
Of course if he has difficulty chewing or has digestive problems you may have to modify that

Also if he is still feeling off colour he may find appetite suppressed and not manage big meals in which case little and often is the way to go to ensure he get sufficient carbs .

After illness and recovering from weight loss is the time eating those snacks, cakes and biscuits can be just what the doctor ordered!


My FIL who died last year at 89 used to love the Aldi Microwave burgers and the Oakhouse delivered frozen foods all easy cook and very tasty.

oldish chris



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 4148
Location: Comfortably Wet Southport
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for nourishing foods for the elderly Reply with quote    

earthyvirgo wrote:
My Dad (who's 92) is just back home from hospital after a small prostate op. He coped incredibly well with the treatment and seems to be making a good recovery BUT he is ...I think, a bit underweight.

He's a mere 5' or so and weighs in at just under 8st, which shocked me a bit.

I am thinking about making and delivery some hearty, nourishing meals to build him up a bit. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Nothing fancy or spicy
He loves pasta, particularly spaghetti.

EV


All this nutritious well-balanced diet lark is for young people who want (aught) to get fit.

I'd ask him what he wants. A bowl of spag bol sounds pretty yummy to me.

I can remember coming round from a cycle of immunotherapy, I hadn't eaten for four days, my stomach hurt. I complained to the nurse, she made me a milk-shake with Complan and ice-cream. That must have been one of the nicest meals I've ever had.

wellington womble



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Posts: 14971
Location: East Midlands
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Puddings with custard and cream. The dietician at work used to recommend adding ground almonds to things like cereal and porridge, making coffee and hot chocolate with all milk (full fat, of course. And there's always gold top)

8 st at 5 foot sounds healthy to me though. I'm 5' and would be a little bit on the well covered side at that weight. It just sounds very little because most people are taller.

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 34027
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

His main problem appears to be being short. Perhaps let him eat as he likes, but buy him some stack heels?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com