Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Who fills in your tax forms?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property

Did you collate your own Self Assessment tax return this year?
Yes, it's 'Self Assessment' afterall
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
No, what do you think accountants are for?!!
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author 
 Message
Rob R



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 31902
Location: York
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 8:43 pm    Post subject: Who fills in your tax forms?  Reply with quote    

With the Inland Revenue & H.M. Customs & Excise seemingly causing so much stress to some people, I just wondered...

jema
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 26620
Location: escaped from Swindon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who fills in your tax forms? Reply with quote    

Rob R wrote:
With the Inland Revenue & H.M. Customs & Excise seemingly causing so much stress to some people, I just wondered...


I have to have an accountant as its marsjupiter ltd i run, and my tax return comes as a freeby with the compnay accounts.

jema

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

When I had an accountant they did my self assessment once and got it wrong! I spotted the error after six months and claimed a large rebate.

I had to learn what to do and have done my own returns and OH's for the last few years.

I've always used Which? Tax Calc, or Intuit as it is now known, and filed over the web. Unfortuenately they are going to stop making Tax Calc I think.

Lloyd



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 2699

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

We should have a third option, "I don't do tax returns".
I used to get my accountant to do them, and latterly begrudged paying him so did them myself. It was the VAT returns I hated most. Now I dont do any of those.

Fullup



Joined: 09 Dec 2004
Posts: 183
Location: Under water
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Treacodactyl wrote:
I've always used Which? Tax Calc, or Intuit as it is now known, and filed over the web. Unfortuenately they are going to stop making Tax Calc I think.


You're right Intuit have binned the Tax Calc programme and also the Quicken book keeping software. Tax Calc is the one I've used for several years now.

Looks like it's the freebie one on the IR site from now on.

Rob R



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 31902
Location: York
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Madman wrote:
We should have a third option, "I don't do tax returns".
I used to get my accountant to do them, and latterly begrudged paying him so did them myself. It was the VAT returns I hated most. Now I dont do any of those.


VAT seems a breeze after finishing the SA

Lloyd



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 2699

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Yeah, like the breeze that just left my German Shepherd's backside!....(him wagging tail now)

Gervase



Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Posts: 8655

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

The VAT never used to worry me when I did it - it was a heck of a lot more straightforward than 'fill in box W7 with the square root of box K9 divided by your shoe size' malarkey you get with the SA100.

wellington womble



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Posts: 14962
Location: East Midlands
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

No-one. I haven't done it yet.

I do it myself, and although my affairs are simple, it is always surprisingly easy. The difficult bit is finding all the right bits of paper. I keep records for the income, but I can never find the right payslips or P60 etc etc.

I'll do it at easter - it's already late, and I reckon I don't owe them anything anyway! At the moment, weekends are a bit precious.

jema
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 26620
Location: escaped from Swindon
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

wellington womble wrote:
No-one. I haven't done it yet.

I do it myself, and although my affairs are simple, it is always surprisingly easy. The difficult bit is finding all the right bits of paper. I keep records for the income, but I can never find the right payslips or P60 etc etc.

I'll do it at easter - it's already late, and I reckon I don't owe them anything anyway! At the moment, weekends are a bit precious.


Don't you get a 100 fine for being late?

jema

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com