Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Stands.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 
 Message
Blacksmith



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 5025
Location: Berkshire
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 06 8:56 pm    Post subject: Stands.  Reply with quote    

I have recently made some small steel display stands for a friend of mine who collects tribal artifacts (masks and bags etc) He intends to buy and sell more on ebay.
As these were a "made to measure" item I was wondering if I could set up a service making and selling similar stands to other collectors or anyone who wanted to display their wares

piggybreeder



Joined: 18 Jun 2006
Posts: 122
Location: Kirkbride Cumbria England
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 06 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Sounds good blacksmith. Hope it works out, Ill certainly keep you in mind .
www.freewebs.com/bramblescroft

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 20809
Location: sunny wales
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 06 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Could you make me a hat display stand? I'm thinking maybe a triangular base (bit like a garden obelisk) with curved arms coming out for the hats? Fairly tall, but not too wide at the base (within the bounds of safety of course)

Blacksmith



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 5025
Location: Berkshire
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 06 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Will send you a design or two Sally.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 20809
Location: sunny wales
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 06 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Lovely! Some hats are little, like my pixie hats, some are very tall, like the pointy ones, Maybe a gap for a mirror to be hung on the stand might make sense too?

Blacksmith



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 5025
Location: Berkshire
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 07 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Thought of this hanging stand for hats, coats etc etc.
Forged and welded this together this afternoon.
Just some 1/2" bar with loops in it , some 1/4" rod welded to it with 3/4" steel balls on the end.
I can weld as many 1/4" rods as required, they can be bent by hand (if minor adjustments are required)
A mirror could be fitted to any of the arms.
A slightly less "random" central vertical pole using twisted bar with an onion basket. Smaller hanging rods could be welded to locking collars to make them fully adjustable.
I have used 4"x2" for the base, for now.
Could be finished in paint, or wire-brushed and waxed
Your suggestions/ criticism most welcome
Cheers, Dave.



sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 20809
Location: sunny wales
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 07 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I like the idea! It needs to be freestanding on a table top at shows, or on a floor when I have space, and probably to take about 15 hats. Either the random or the twisty effect is good by me

Blacksmith



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 5025
Location: Berkshire
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 07 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Mk II

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 20809
Location: sunny wales
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 07 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

that looks marvellous I can see it adorned with pointy hats even now

MarkS



Joined: 01 Aug 2006
Posts: 2626

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 07 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I hope you haven't scratched that table....

Blacksmith



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 5025
Location: Berkshire
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 07 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

MarkS wrote:
I hope you haven't scratched that table....

Nope Cork on the top on the cramp, bit of plywood underneath

hedgewitch



Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Posts: 5834
Location: Daft wench GHQ
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 07 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Blacksmith wrote:
MarkS wrote:
I hope you haven't scratched that table....

Nope Cork on the top on the cramp, bit of plywood underneath


he doesn't scratch the furniture and he'll take a girl out for a pint and a pickled egg too <swoon>

Chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35904
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 07 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

hedgewitch wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:
MarkS wrote:
I hope you haven't scratched that table....

Nope Cork on the top on the cramp, bit of plywood underneath


he doesn't scratch the furniture and he'll take a girl out for a pint and a pickled egg too <swoon>

It was the pickled egg that I found most romantic .

Blacksmith



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 5025
Location: Berkshire
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 07 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Chez wrote:
hedgewitch wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:
MarkS wrote:
I hope you haven't scratched that table....

Nope Cork on the top on the cramp, bit of plywood underneath


he doesn't scratch the furniture and he'll take a girl out for a pint and a pickled egg too <swoon>

It was the pickled egg that I found most romantic .

(You forgot the pork scratchings )
Play your cards right, and a guided tour of my shed is real possibility.
And they said romance was dead.

hedgewitch



Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Posts: 5834
Location: Daft wench GHQ
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 07 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Blacksmith wrote:
Chez wrote:
hedgewitch wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:
MarkS wrote:
I hope you haven't scratched that table....

Nope Cork on the top on the cramp, bit of plywood underneath


he doesn't scratch the furniture and he'll take a girl out for a pint and a pickled egg too <swoon>

It was the pickled egg that I found most romantic .

(You forgot the pork scratchings )
Play your cards right, and a guided tour of my shed is real possibility.
And they said romance was dead.


Well, I've always been more impressed by a man with a shed than a man with a fancy car..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com