Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Shooting weekend?
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 
 Message
tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 12:48 pm    Post subject: Shooting weekend?  Reply with quote    

Dunno about the flyfishing, can't see any of us ever taking it up, so how about:

A weekend somewhere nice where they run courses in air rifles, the sort that we could use for rabbit control....

All ideas appreciated.

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41984
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

A quick google seems to bring up stuff with shotguns rather than air-rifles.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Yeah, that's why I asked here

Behemoth



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Posts: 19023
Location: Leeds
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

From what I can see many gun clubs do air rifles as well:

http://www.onesite.co.uk/find/shooting.htm

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41984
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I assumed that but I've never been afraid to point out the bleedin' obvious.
Didn't we have at least a couple of members who were keen airgunners?
Dunx/FTB/the lot who went down to Pricey's for the bunny carnage weekend?

Behemoth



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Posts: 19023
Location: Leeds
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

http://www.cwmbran32.fsnet.co.uk/

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

OK, lets put it like this, I KNOW NOTHING!

What I'm after is a weekend somewhere nice with access to somewhere to shoot the kind of air rifles I might use to control bunnies with. Dunno what they're called, or what facilities are available. Don't know that many places in the UK either.

Spose from the point of view of my BILs we need somewhere with decent pubs, from FILs point of view decent (not posh) grub. I'd be happy to just get a primer in shooting so that I know whether it's something I want to get involved with.

gil
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 18379

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

tahir wrote:
OK, lets put it like this, I KNOW NOTHING!

somewhere to shoot the kind of air rifles I might use to control bunnies with. Dunno what they're called, .


.22 air rifles, .177 at a pinch if you're accurate and the rabbits are slow

Last edited by gil on Wed Sep 05, 07 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

cab



Joined: 01 Nov 2004
Posts: 32429

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Tahir, if you have plenty of space to practice, surely what you need is to get hold of an appropriate air rifle (there are people here to give you that info) and simply practice? And when you think you're good enough (and nor before you're comfortable with that) move on to live targets?

Or is handling an air rifle way more complex than that?

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41984
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

cab wrote:
Tahir, if you have plenty of space to practice, surely what you need is to get hold of an appropriate air rifle (there are people here to give you that info) and simply practice? And when you think you're good enough (and nor before you're comfortable with that) move on to live targets?

Or is handling an air rifle way more complex than that?


I reckon that's about it really.

hedgewitch



Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Posts: 5834
Location: Daft wench GHQ
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

What happened to the fishing trip? Honestly, men just change their mind every two minutes don't they?

gil
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 18379

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

No, it's not complex, though basic safety routines and principles are essential. Then how to carry, load and hold the rifle, if you've never done it before. Then plenty of target practice, either tin cans on a shelf/log or paper targets pinned to a plank/board, to an increasing degree of accuracy. If none of you have ever shot before, being with someone who has is very useful.

Making a weekend of it, as a social event with practical application, rather than a bare necessity.

Jonnyboy



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 23924
Location: under some rain.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

sean wrote:
cab wrote:
Tahir, if you have plenty of space to practice, surely what you need is to get hold of an appropriate air rifle (there are people here to give you that info) and simply practice? And when you think you're good enough (and nor before you're comfortable with that) move on to live targets?

Or is handling an air rifle way more complex than that?


I reckon that's about it really.


I was going to suggest the very same thing. we shot air rifles as kids, and now grown adults need a three week health and safety course before even venturing into a gun shop.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44283
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Jonnyboy wrote:
sean wrote:
cab wrote:
Tahir, if you have plenty of space to practice, surely what you need is to get hold of an appropriate air rifle (there are people here to give you that info) and simply practice? And when you think you're good enough (and nor before you're comfortable with that) move on to live targets?

Or is handling an air rifle way more complex than that?


I reckon that's about it really.


I was going to suggest the very same thing. we shot air rifles as kids, and now grown adults need a three week health and safety course before even venturing into a gun shop.



Yeah but where's the weekend of fun to go with that? I know I'll never get round to shooting unless I go out of my way to start, this might be the opportunity that does it.

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41984
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Oh, don't forget to make sure that you can tell the difference between ferrets. rabbits and whippets/lurchers from a distance. Someone shot one of my ferrets with a 12 bore once.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com