Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
make do and mend weekend. 10th & 11th July.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 
 Message
Nell Merionwen



Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 16300
Location: Beautiful Derbyshire
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 09 11:11 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

sally_in_wales wrote:
I'll be there!

I've got a set of Edwardian 'speed darners' that we can play with if anyone has a really enormous amount of darning to do



Ren



Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 1782
Location: southwesterly
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 09 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Jamanda wrote:
Oooo. Sewing machines! Our school is flogging some off - I've been told a bid of a fiver would probably secure one. Anyone interested?


I'd be interested if there are any more going..

Fee



Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Posts: 15902
Location: Surrey Heath
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 09 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Sounds like a good idea, I may well be interested, depends what's happening though as it's my Ma & Step-Pa's birthday weekend. But I'm a possible!

Jamanda wrote:
I can't thread a sewing machine


That reminds me, must get my sewing machine out for my Mum to re-show me when she's hear tomorrow, I swear my machine's broked

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 20809
Location: sunny wales
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 09 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

lottie wrote:
I've loads I should be doing instead of the internet and now I need to look up speed darners


they are very strange and slightly lethal looking devices full of sharp pins, you stab them through the fabric, perform a sort of zig zag interlacing with your thread that forms half the darn, then just sew through in the other direction, meant to take half the time of 'normal' darning.

Belinda



Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 463
Location: Hertfordshire
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 09 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I have a set of original wartime Make Do and Mend Leaflets, plus the 1943 original MD&M booklet. All potentially photocopiable if anyone needs mending/darning tips. I used them today in the Clothes and Textiles class I'm teaching - we were investigating clothes rationing and Making Do. I'm sure they suggest at least 27 ways to patch a shirt.

The weekend sounds wonderful but is too far for me to travel. If anyone runs one closer to Herts I might well be interested. I can sew/mend anything that can be done on a 1929 Singer handcrank.

lottie



Joined: 11 Aug 2005
Posts: 5059
Location: ceredigion
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 09 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

sally_in_wales wrote:
lottie wrote:
I've loads I should be doing instead of the internet and now I need to look up speed darners


they are very strange and slightly lethal looking devices full of sharp pins, you stab them through the fabric, perform a sort of zig zag interlacing with your thread that forms half the darn, then just sew through in the other direction, meant to take half the time of 'normal' darning.

Thanks---I'd tried to find the info with no success---I just love practical gadgets ancient and modern.

ros



Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Posts: 2469
Location: Beds
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 09 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Belinda wrote:
I have a set of original wartime Make Do and Mend Leaflets, plus the 1943 original MD&M booklet. All potentially photocopiable if anyone needs mending/darning tips. I used them today in the Clothes and Textiles class I'm teaching - we were investigating clothes rationing and Making Do. I'm sure they suggest at least 27 ways to patch a shirt.

The weekend sounds wonderful but is too far for me to travel. If anyone runs one closer to Herts I might well be interested. I can sew/mend anything that can be done on a 1929 Singer handcrank.



hmmm, I'm sure my home ec teacher in St Albans in the late 70s was called Belinda

jamsam



Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 2560
Location: erm....i dont know, its dark.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 09 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

thats the weekend of my birthday, but im sure i could do it!!!

I really need to learn to knit!

I'll bring cake!

Nell Merionwen



Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 16300
Location: Beautiful Derbyshire
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 09 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

jamsam wrote:
thats the weekend of my birthday, but im sure i could do it!!!

I really need to learn to knit!

I'll bring cake!


shall I put you on the list?

jamsam



Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 2560
Location: erm....i dont know, its dark.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 09 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

put me down as a possible for the day.....i have some friends who are all sewers/knitters/dressmakers etc who would lve to see the farm and join in, i will start a list!!

Helen_A



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1548
Location: MK, Bucks.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 09 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Possibly interested... depends in part on whether DD1 would be scouting or not on those dates, as she needs these skills too!

Chickem



Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 3958
Location: Sunny Devon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 09 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Me Me Me
(dont care what he say's i wanna come too!)

Jamanda
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 34918
Location: Devon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Thought I'd bump this so people remember to to put the date on their new calendars.

cir3ngirl



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 4831
Location: Cirencester
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 10 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Don't think I was given a choice about going. Would love to crouchet and spell the word

mochyn



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 24569
Location: mid-Wales
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 10 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Do you want me to teach a crochet thing? Dodes the 55 apply to teachers as well as learners? Have I missed things? Have I got a brain?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com