links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
anyone a cat behaviourist?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 8:46 am    Post subject: anyone a cat behaviourist? Reply with quote

Our tortoishell cat has always been the nervous sort and it doesn't seem to take much to send her over the edge. Recently we've had a spate of her weeing in the wrong place; on clothes dropped on the floor in the bedrooms for example. She's also taken to pooing in the middle of the lawn.

Last night she slunk under one of the boys beds looking very frightened and refused to come out as though there was something after her. Her brother was asleep elsewhere in the house so can't blame him and no other cat can get in the catflap. The cat population hasn't changed in the neighbourhood for years so there is no newcomer to worry about. In fact there was no reason for her to act like that, that we can see at all. No sudden noises or unusual visitors that might have left a scent she didn't like.

This morning she has left a poo on the carpet in the workroom upstairs. I think it was deliberate rather than a sign of illness. She often sleeps on the settle in there and sees it as a nice place. Years ago she did this when the kids were tiny and I recognise that its a sign of extreme distress and fear but we can't for the life of us work out what is causing it.

I've shut them in the utility room for now where there are beds, food and water and they can get out if they need to. Its advice I was given by a vet who said sometimes its better to create one room that she feels safe in.

She's 13 could it all be in her head? We've tried the feliway diffusers in the past but they've not worked for her. Any other suggestions?

Carpet steam cleaned and all window opened - smelt awful as you can imagine.

Beckyess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animals defecate when stressed as it releases nice chemicals into the brain (imagine how you feel when you go to the loo it really is a relief!) so poong in the house is a way of feeling better for her.
Has she been checked over by a vet to make sure she's physically OK?
If all is well on that front then I would recommend using either Denes Nerve Tablets or Dorwest Herbs Skullcap and Valerian to try to reduce her stress levels so she feels better able to cope.
Becky

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beckyess wrote:
Animals defecate when stressed as it releases nice chemicals into the brain (imagine how you feel when you go to the loo it really is a relief!) so poong in the house is a way of feeling better for her.
Has she been checked over by a vet to make sure she's physically OK?
If all is well on that front then I would recommend using either Denes Nerve Tablets or Dorwest Herbs Skullcap and Valerian to try to reduce her stress levels so she feels better able to cope.
Becky

I did wonder about talking to the vet. The poo was a normal one so no sign of physical illness i.e she wasn't taken short or anything. Unfortunately a trip to the vet is one of her hated events and is likely to make her more nervous and upset. Are the tablets easy to get in to a cat? You can see that I'm keen to help but not do anything that might make her worse.

More than anything trying to work out what is making her feel the need to do this and eliminate that problem so she has a chance to calm down and sort her head out.

marigold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be just because she's getting older, or because she's poorly - it's expensive, but you may be able to get your vet to home-visit if you think she should be checked over.

You'll probably never know what spooked her on this occasion, but it might have been a fox or some stupid human. All sorts of noises also upset cats - she could have been freaked out by a car alarm or strimmer going off suddenly.

Lots of cuddles might help, if she'll let you.

chez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a particular bach remedy that is supposed to help nervous cats - you can put it on their food / in their water, I think it's Mimulus. I've never tried it, but I've heard good things about it.

You can also get a pheromone spray from the vet (quite expensive, about £15 last time I got it, about eight years ago) that is supposed to mimic the smell of their own urine so that they don't feel the need to pee - it smells of them already.

Poor old girl! (The cat, not you! )

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx guys. have spoken to the vet on your advice, who thinks its worth seeing her cos of her age. So an appointment has been made for Saturday so that Tim (her favourite person) can go with her and help calm her down.

BahamaMama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Rescue Remedy in her food or water - I have heard it works on horses and I have seen it work on children

FiddlesticksTim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Mimulus and Rescue Remedy ideas. We've got some Rescue Remedy. If we put it in their water bowl, I expect they'll drink from the pond - but it's well worth a go!

Hopefully we'll calm her down and get her feeling comfortable again.

Poor Bitzy and Poor Mrs F for having to deal with it. I'd already left for work!

Tim

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the parental cats is a sixteen-year-old - he is getting frail and we don't think he has much time left.

He has a history of "accidents" around the house - and in recent months has become a frequent wetter on one bit of carpet or another. It's unclear why he does this but despite various attempts it seems the habit won't be broken

A.

Beckyess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope all goes well at the vets.
Becky

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my cats when elderly started using areas other than the litter tray. They also became quite yowly and demanding, and preferred me to be within sight or sound of them. No unknown ailments to account for it.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
Most of my cats when elderly started using areas other than the litter tray. They also became quite yowly and demanding, and preferred me to be within sight or sound of them. No unknown ailments to account for it.

that's interesting. I'd say that Bitzy is like that in that she sometimes races to the top of the stairs and then yowls as though she's lost. Could be down to age then in some ways.

It was odd watching her slink in to the boys room and under the bed last night. One minute sat on the landing, then she looked over her shoulder as though someone was there and then darted under the bed. There was no one there; she'd been in the house for a while so not as if she'd shot in from a problem outside. Brother who is the same age was asleep so it wasn't him. Most odd. Did she imagine something?

mochyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Fiddlesticks wrote:
It was odd watching her slink in to the boys room and under the bed last night. One minute sat on the landing, then she looked over her shoulder as though someone was there and then darted under the bed. There was no one there; she'd been in the house for a while so not as if she'd shot in from a problem outside. Brother who is the same age was asleep so it wasn't him. Most odd. Did she imagine something?

Almost sounds as if she's haunted.

Woodburner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a section on this sort of thing in "The Cat Whisperer". Not having cats myself I didn't pay too much attention but it was fascinating read and got my friend's cats' behaviour to a T.

Nanny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 07 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surefire way to stop her from doing something on the same bit of carpet is to rub the offending area with neat milton....

it doesn't smell bad to you but does to the cat......

as to what the cause is, i really don't know

sounds like she is stressed about something but as she is 13, perahps it is indeed her age

i think the rescue remedy is a good idea if you can get it down her

good luck on that one....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive