Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
It's all coming up

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 11:18 pm    Post subject: It's all coming up Reply with quote

Sorry to sound like a big kid but no one else understands my excitment!

Most of the stuff I planted into the garden under netting and my make shift cloche has showed it's lovely head. I appear to have an overabundance of lettuce so I guess I'll have to thin those out.

The only thing that is slow to appear are the carrots which didn't get to go under the cloche

One day there was nothing, the next it had all appeared. And I never knew that beetroot seedlings came up a reddy green sort of colour

oldhibberd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you, all I have 'comming up' is acres of Brambles, nettles, and various other vicious weeds. I'm sure I'll be just as excited if I ever get anything 'useful' to grow.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh but we do understand!! I planted up the 1st part of the cutting garden, the rose area and started edging the small seating area, even if I say so myself it looks brill!

And I'm really excited about the fact that our greenhouse is being delivered Friday!!! Then I can really get sowing - got a new radio and cofee mug for it all ready!

The carrots will catch up, the ground is getting warmer.

mochyn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry: I've been a horticultural professional for years, been to hortic. college, bought the t-shirt and I still get excited by seedlings! I smiled when reading your post: my old lecturer would have had a fit: you don't plant seeds, you SOW them! What does it matter, as long as they grow? Don't people get hung up over silly things?

moggins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, yes I did make a bit of a booboo in my excitement didn't I? (Sowing was never my strong point LOL)

Fee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally understand the excitement, my new veg plot in the garden (pretty small, but it's a start) is full of little green shoots too (and some purpley turnip ones)

I got another one of those plastic covered small greenhouse things (3 tier shelf thing to add to my little 2 shelf one) at the weekend, and it was so hot in there it wilted my cauli seedlings and some cuttings overnight

I've left a little breathing gap at the bottom now, hasn't done any more damage since.

Fee

judith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's when you stop getting excited that it becomes time to hang up the trowel. Unless it is peeing down with rain, my morning routine always includes a trip down to the veg patch with my cup of coffee to see what has come up since my last visit.

bagpuss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldhibberd wrote:
Good for you, all I have 'comming up' is acres of Brambles, nettles, and various other vicious weeds. I'm sure I'll be just as excited if I ever get anything 'useful' to grow.

but you get lots of useful things from nettles and brambles surely

oldhibberd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagpuss wrote:

but you get lots of useful things from nettles and brambles surely

Yup, I won't count the stings and scratches, the Blackberry & Apple jam is good!

snowball
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your excitement is totally understandable. I have six artichokes in my container they've never done anything before.
My radishes and beetroot need thinning.
No sign of the basil or carrots yet though.

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:
Don't worry: I've been a horticultural professional for years, been to hortic. college, bought the t-shirt and I still get excited by seedlings!

i get all excited too, i call them 'my babies' and talk to them...

maybe it's a pagan thing, or maybe i'm just a nutter, possibly both

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowball wrote:
My radishes and beetroot need thinning.

Don't forget both are edible, add to a salad if they're really small or cook with some greens

Loopy Lou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad this thread is here - I sowed some seeds on
onday (have always really disliked gardening but something in me has changed recently ) and some are growing!!

I can fully understand your excitement - your grin is probably as big as mine!!!

joanne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 05 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ButteryHOLsomeness wrote:
i get all excited too, i call them 'my babies' and talk to them...

maybe it's a pagan thing, or maybe i'm just a nutter, possibly both

Well I'm pagan and a nutter and I call them my babies too - think thats why I've so many tomato seedlings - can't bear to kill any of them off if they've made the effort and germinated for me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive