Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sweet Corn problem - any ideas

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 24 6:29 pm    Post subject: Sweet Corn problem - any ideas Reply with quote

All my sweet corn cobs are the same as this photo.

They are sort of dividing into 2, kernels also are nor forming well.

I think viruses, but maybe something else ?

[/img]

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 24 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of pollination surely?

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 24 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s definitely lack of pollination but no idea why the ends are misshapen

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 24 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be this:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/problems/fasciation

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 24 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odd shape might be due to empty spaces with a few kernels between them

lack of pollination explains the empty spaces

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 24 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if it might be to do with excess wet - causing splitting. Has it been unusually wet where you live?

the rainy weather would also contribute to lack of pollination, as sweetcorn depends on wind to scatter the pollen.

saying that I would ask if any other of your veg has been effected, could be dodgy compost if so

gray_b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 24 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were block planted in the soil, having been started in the greenhouse in pots with bought in compost.

I did wonder about the compost. As I know that if there was any residual weedkiller or other chemicals from the green waste, it can cause distortion in stems.

Cannot remember variety, but they grow 6ft tall, and all of them only have only 1 cob on them.

Watering has not been a problem, as no hosepipe bans this year.

I can understand duds due to lack of pollination.

We will see if the problem re-occurs, as I have another later batch (by 1 month) growing of the same variety. They are just sheding pollen, so hopefully might be ripe before the frosts.

This year has been a bad year for other vegetables. I've already pulled out my 10 varieties of tomatoes, due to having watery, pulpy, tasteless fruit. The only varieties worth it were Alsia craig and Chocolate, but I threw thwm away as well.

Leeks, Butternut Sqash (blossom end rot), Cucumber (blossom end rot) and Broad Beans (flower drop) terrible

Cauliflowers (no cabbage whites) and Runner beans are looking good.

Early potatoes in ground were terrible, but in tubs they were fantastic.

Last edited by gray_b on Tue Sep 03, 24 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 24 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gray_b wrote:
I have another later batch (by 1 month) growing of the same variety. They are just sheding pollen, so hopefully might be ripe before the frosts.

Blimey that's proper late, good luck with them you never know with the climate being what it is

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 24 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all of the blossom end rot symptoms, you likely have had inconsistent or extreme soil moisture conditions

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 24 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
gray_b wrote:
I have another later batch (by 1 month) growing of the same variety. They are just sheding pollen, so hopefully might be ripe before the frosts.

Blimey that's proper late, good luck with them you never know with the climate being what it is

it could be a planting timing issue I guess - re pollination - I sowed 2 packets of seeds, in pots in gh and then planted them out. I had too many plants so cleared an new area and planted some more then gave the rest to my neighbour. The first bed was wonderful, fat cobs and second and third smaller cobs. But the plants I put out later in the newly cleared area had gaps in the cobs and no second cobs. my neighbour had the same issue. So plants sown at the same time but just planted out later did a lot worse.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 24 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can rarely grow sweetcorn outside. We are in the south of England, and field crops seem to do all right, but our microclimate isn't conducive to things that need warmth. I can only really grow tomatoes successfully in the greenhouse too.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 24 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
gray_b wrote:

Mine is only just at this point. Then I noticed that the maize around us was taller, but behind in terms of development. THEN I remembered that most of the maize crop is taken as wholecrop silage for cattle feed. Oops!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive