Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
the slimey hoard part ... many
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Author 
 Message
dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 33087
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 17 10:37 pm    Post subject: the slimey hoard part ... many  Reply with quote    

the slug pub has it's uses but that was grim delux for the slimey hoard. it seems that half a tin of grolsch was rather too popular for them to resist.

tis the best bait i have found so far ,quite a few species of slug and several snails.

i might get brave enough to try for some salad leaf stuff.

Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 9012

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

This year, being dry, I have managed to keep them fairly well at bay with copper round the beds (mainly old copper pipe) and beer traps. Luckily they like very out of date beer, or the cheapest I can buy, as we are not beer drinkers.

Woo



Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Posts: 780
Location: Mayenne, Pays de Loire
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I like a beer trap,
I am always amazed at how I,as a nature loving person, can be turned into a murderous dictator when my veg garden is invaded. i suppose the only concession I make is they die happy...

wellington womble



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Posts: 14835
Location: East Midlands
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I have just had a very tortuous conversation with my seven year old as to why flypapers are not for entertainment, and how I t is not nice to watch them die. Usually, she is set against killing anything, but she is quite fascinated by the dying flies. She even wanted to keep her head lice as pets.

I don't routinely use flypaper, but have come back from a few days away and we are infested. I can't imagine how, as I shut everything while we were away.

Hairyloon



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 14845
Location: Today I are mostly being in Yorkshire.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Mistress Rose wrote:
This year, being dry, I have managed to keep them fairly well at bay with copper round the beds (mainly old copper pipe) and beer traps. Luckily they like very out of date beer, or the cheapest I can buy, as we are not beer drinkers.

If you ask nicely at your local pub, they will often be happy to give you the contents of the slops tray.

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 7254
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

wellington womble wrote:
I have just had a very tortuous conversation with my seven year old as to why flypapers are not for entertainment, and how I t is not nice to watch them die. Usually, she is set against killing anything, but she is quite fascinated by the dying flies. She even wanted to keep her head lice as pets.

I don't routinely use flypaper, but have come back from a few days away and we are infested. I can't imagine how, as I shut everything while we were away.


You have just made me feel itchy!

Lorrainelovesplants



Joined: 13 Oct 2006
Posts: 6487
Location: Dordogne
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    



Pet headlice!

Love to see teachers face at show and tell for that!

wellington womble



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Posts: 14835
Location: East Midlands
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I lied. I told her that the treatment stuff made your hair really slippery so that they fell out. It's only the second time I've ever really deceived her about anything.

I e since bought her three guinea pigs and two goldfish, but I suspect it will only stop at a puppy.

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 33087
Location: yes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:


Pet headlice!

Love to see teachers face at show and tell for that!


"good morning miss, good morning class , for today’s show and tell i have brought my ..... "


Slim



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Posts: 4788
Location: New England (In the US of A)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 17 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

wellington womble wrote:
I lied. I told her that the treatment stuff made your hair really slippery so that they fell out. It's only the second time I've ever really deceived her about anything.

I e since bought her three guinea pigs and two goldfish, but I suspect it will only stop at a puppy.


Why would it stop at a puppy? Surely she need a miniature horse, and a donkey or three.

Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 9012

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 17 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

We were talking about Michael Bentines flea circus yesterday. No fleas involved of course.

I might ask for slops at the local pub. We are between the two; about 2 miles either way.

wellington womble



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Posts: 14835
Location: East Midlands
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 17 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Slim wrote:
wellington womble wrote:
I lied. I told her that the treatment stuff made your hair really slippery so that they fell out. It's only the second time I've ever really deceived her about anything.

I e since bought her three guinea pigs and two goldfish, but I suspect it will only stop at a puppy.


Why would it stop at a puppy? Surely she need a miniature horse, and a donkey or three.


Nah, she wants a companion. Something to watch tv with, sleep on her bed and go upstairs with her so she's not afraid of the loft door (No, I've no idea why she's afraid of the loft door either. Nor has she, but terrified of it she surely is). I can't blame her, she has no siblings and no father. I can't always be available, due to needing to do both parents jobs in the home and out, so she's bound to be lonely.

Slim



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Posts: 4788
Location: New England (In the US of A)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 17 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

wellington womble wrote:
Slim wrote:
wellington womble wrote:
I lied. I told her that the treatment stuff made your hair really slippery so that they fell out. It's only the second time I've ever really deceived her about anything.

I e since bought her three guinea pigs and two goldfish, but I suspect it will only stop at a puppy.


Why would it stop at a puppy? Surely she need a miniature horse, and a donkey or three.


Nah, she wants a companion. Something to watch tv with, sleep on her bed and go upstairs with her so she's not afraid of the loft door (No, I've no idea why she's afraid of the loft door either. Nor has she, but terrified of it she surely is). I can't blame her, she has no siblings and no father. I can't always be available, due to needing to do both parents jobs in the home and out, so she's bound to be lonely.


Precisely why I suggested it would be a miniature horse....

I was always leery of the attic and the basement myself around the age of 5 or so... who knows what's living there, or what's been hidden there.....

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 33087
Location: yes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 17 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

a good wolf seems ideal

Slim



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Posts: 4788
Location: New England (In the US of A)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 17 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

On the topic of mollusks and pets, I decided to see how the pooch likes snails the other day.

She's happy to catch and chomp down when thrown in the air like a treat, but not sold on the flavor it seems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright © 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->