Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
people that dont pay bills
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 12 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first (and last ) time we have had any dealings with them.

crofter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 12 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
I have emailed back basically a copy of the letter I delivered round there this afternoon.

I hope you included your bank details!

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 12 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...........and we still have some of his equipment, and will be keeping same until full payment has been made.

I would imagine that the equipment valuation you hold of this company far excedes the £81 they owe for repairs,hence they are not going to renege on paying their bill,as they know the law would allow you to sell their goods after 28days of notifying them of the case,if payment is not made.

On the otherhand,you could lose a regular supply of work,well in excess of the money owing at the time by naming and shaming.

You hold the best hand as they say,sit on it,it will be to your benefit in the end.

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are unable to give pricing at the start of a job due to the nature of repair work, perhaps, as a compromise you can charge a retainer and once the job is done, you either refund the difference or they pay you the difference, depending on the cost of the job. The refund or the excess to be paid on collection of the machinery.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did NOT include bank details as Im uncomfortable with giving these out. Is there a risk?
Ive been told (by the book-keeper amazingly enough) a couple of things that increase my wariness of this company.

Rob R

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did NOT include bank details as Im uncomfortable with giving these out. Is there a risk?

It's the same level of risk as writing a cheque. All the bank details they need are printed on cheques.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point.

I have spoken to our bank and explained the situation. They have said that giving out bank details does have an element of risk, so for the present, I am going to await and see..........

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is standard practice to give BAC's details on an invoice.

Rob R

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it as one of my criteria for selecting suppliers - if they won't give me bank details I either don't use them or they go to the bottom of the payment priority list.

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Make it difficult for someone to pay you and you will get paid last.

crofter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:

Yes. I am surprised Lorraine's bank advised that letting them know her account details was "risky"

Rob R

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofter wrote:
Shan wrote:

Yes. I am surprised Lorraine's bank advised that letting them know her account details was "risky"

I guess they've got to cover their own, just in case something went amiss.

crofter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
crofter wrote:
Shan wrote:

I guess they've got to cover their own, just in case something went amiss.

Well, I suppose there is a risk that she might get paid.

Quote:
It makes business sense to actively encourage all you customers to pay you direct by Bacs Direct Credit, the benefits are numerous.

Better cashflow
Payments arrive instantly as cleared funds, so you can use the money straight away. You'll also earn interest earlier too.

Saves time
Because Bacs Direct Credit payments go straight into your business account, you spend less time handling and banking cash and cheques.

More secure
Cash and cheques can go missing.

Prompt payment
Money will arrive in your account the day it is expected.

More reliable
Organisations using Bacs Direct Credit typically pay earlier than those who don't. They also tend not to forget to make payments.
How to be paid by Bacs Direct Credit

Bacs Direct Credit payments are easy to arrange. Simply contact the organisation making the payment to check that they are able to initiate direct payments and supply them with the following information:

The name(s) on the account
Your bank or building society account number
The branch sort code of your bank.

It is important that the correct payment reference information is included with all electronic payments so that you can easily connect the payments you receive to the correct organisations account. Ensure you include the payment reference on all of your bills. Find out further details about payment reference information.

It is also a good idea to put your sort code and account number on all your invoices – and print ‘Pay Me Direct’ alongside.

Rob R

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was the Clarkson incident, though. I can't really fathom why a system can't be set up to allow people only to identify your account for the purposes of paying in. That said I guess it's probably because it's not a problem - people can't set up payments to themselves or anyone connected to them or they'd be traceable.

kopperdrake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to charge interest on money owed then I believe you need it in your terms and conditions, and make sure any supplier sees the T&C's beforehand.

We've sent out the nasty small claims letter a few times, and every time the person has paid up without getting as far as the court. Some try it on, one genuinely had issues, so we worked out a staged payment for them over several months (though I still have my suspicions they were cadging it slightly). First thing you need to do is fire of a Final Reminder invoice, and send it recorded delivery, to prove they received it. That's what the FSB told me to do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive