Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
When it all goes tits up.....

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 4:00 am    Post subject: When it all goes tits up..... Reply with quote

I want this guy on my side.
Living archaeology & anthropology at its best IMHO.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but I got rather fed up with him twisting the string so ineptly. The best way I have found is to twist them one at a time, with one end secured to something, hold the twisted one in place while working on the other one, add a bit of twist to each so they are very tight, then hold them together and let them twist the other way.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His silent hut building videos are fascinating. They really suck you in.

Falstaff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I found the cordage making both educational and absorbing - unlike MR - the formation of the three strands and the weaving of the pouch was ingenious.

His accuracy wasn't that good - but I suppose he could have cheated and only shown the hits

Mostly I reckon if he was hunting rabbits for the pot - there'd be a deal of hunger to survive - but hey practice makes perfect they say and no doubt he would improve with time.

I loved the "barefoot native" look and smiled when he flinched as he trod on a stone !

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. I'm going to go and stand next to (or better still slightly behind) Sally_in_Wales's OH Gareth come the apocalypse.

vegplot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the sling years ago and was more of a danger to myself than anything around me.

The David and Goliath story was mistold. As David got out his sling Goliath asked him "what have you got their little man". David replied "It's my secret weapon that I'll use to kill you".

"How does it work?"

"I'll show you"

David give him a quick introduction "Remember to swing it around very fast and give it a flick before you let go". That was the last thing Goliath heard as the stone, still in the sling wrap itself with increasing velocity around Goliath's head.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a pole sling as a youth. (sort of like an intermediate form between a sling and a trebuchet) All sorts of fun. Didn't take long to become reasonably accurate, and able to launch surprisingly large rocks.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for medium size cordage (5/7mm) i twist a long thin piece then plat then roll under foot to form the cord.it works with many fibers and is definitely the best system with nettle.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy a big roll of 6mm polyprop. I don't think the apocalypse is likely to damage it...

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Nah. I'm going to go and stand next to (or better still slightly behind) Sally_in_Wales's OH Gareth come the apocalypse.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
I buy a big roll of 6mm polyprop. I don't think the apocalypse is likely to damage it...

it is very prone to uv damage from daylight,6 mm lasts less than a year before it goes crunchy and breaks easily.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:

it is very prone to uv damage from daylight,6 mm lasts less than a year before it goes crunchy and breaks easily.

Must be sunnier up your way than where I lurk.

john of wessex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 15 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this

Survive the apocalypse with central heating..................

https://primitivetechnology.wordpress.com/2015/09/05/building-a-hut-with-a-kiln-fired-tiled-roof-underfloor-heating-and-mud-pile-walls/

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 15 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't look at the video, but the question is why? I can understand that palm thatch and possibly local wood rot quickly, but surely it is easier to build a reasonable sized hut with them and replace the thatch every year. If the hut is large enough, the fire can go in the hut.

My reasoning for this is Iron Age round houses versus Roman villa. They have examples of both at Butser Ancient Farm, and if the doors are in the right direction or shut, the round houses are quite comfortable, but the Roman villa has always been cold and damp. Even in the summer it doesn't get warm, and in winter you would have to have a hypocaust or freeze. Far more effort than a fire in the middle of the house.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 15 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
dpack wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:

Must be sunnier up your way than where I lurk.

temperate rain forest,derbyshire peak district aint very sunny .we got a lot of experience with the strengths and weaknesses of polyprop ,10 and 12 mm is not too bad as the core keeps it's strength,polysteel is best if you need to tension the stuff(walkways etc) but for anything heavy with life depending on it for a while 12mm static is better.
one inch hemp is pretty good for weather resistance but it does have a few issues with shrinkage/bagginess depending on how damp it is and it will rot over a few years.

the most spectacular construction was a 60 ft scaff tube skylon with a 2 story "house" in it hanging quite a way up over a quarry bowl and tied off to about 30 groups of trees with 3 km of 10 mm polyprop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive