Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Look at me!

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 15 4:09 pm    Post subject: Look at me! Reply with quote

For the last 3 years I've been selecting the largest bulbs from my Garlic crop to re-plant for the following season (you might call it unnatural selection).
Steadily the size of bulbs have grown and this year's crop (pulled end of August) has given me the best yield so far.
I thought I'd weight then and most bulbs are over 70grams - the picture shows the heaviest 9 (all over 80gram). The one sat on the scale is this year's champion - a respectable (almost obese) 101grams.
I've broken the 3 heaviest into cloves and planted them out today in my polytunnel. I normally plant them out end of October/early November so I'm late this year.
I nearly didn't bother as this lot will last us for at least a year. But then I realised if I didn't plant them I'd lose my stock for following years. Looks like I'm bound with them for life

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 15 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 15 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely, one day we'll have a veg plot again

hots

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 15 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive.
I always crack and eat all ours, I just buy garlic from the local supermarket and pop that in the ground, it grows beautifully.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 15 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice bulbs ,in a few years you might only need one clove as a starter

needs a big press

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 15 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be vampire-proof at least

Falstaff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 15 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting OL - did you buy the original "seed" - or was it supermarket stock (I've only ever done "Supermarket" and been disappointed although I can grow most stuff ok)

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 15 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falstaff wrote:
That's interesting OL - did you buy the original "seed" - or was it supermarket stock (I've only ever done "Supermarket" and been disappointed although I can grow most stuff ok)

It was 'seed' stock from the local garden centre. Originally half Early Purple Wight and half Thermidrome. I see they're selling them 3 bulbs for £2.99 at the moment.
I set off about 40 cloves which gives us over a years supply (this year I got 40 good sized cloves from 3 of my bulbs).

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 15 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have grown the 'Wight' varieties and found they work quite well. I haven't bothered the last couple of years as we use so little garlic it isn't really worth while.

That is a good crop Otley Lad. You must be developing the largest strain for your growing conditions.

roobarb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 15 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look good. I've always grown mine outside. How easy are they to grow in the polytunnel - do they need lots of watering/attention? Do you think it gives a better crop growing in a PT?

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 15 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:

That is a good crop Otley Lad. You must be developing the largest strain for your growing conditions.

Thats the plan.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 15 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roobarb wrote:
They look good. I've always grown mine outside. How easy are they to grow in the polytunnel - do they need lots of watering/attention? Do you think it gives a better crop growing in a PT?

I make sure they don't dry out but other than that I don't do a lot - just keep the weeds at bay and they look after themselves. I perhaps water them once a week.

My soil has quite a lot of clay in parts and it can get pretty wet during the winter (we're at the foot of a large, steep hill). I think they would rot in the average winter in some of the beds. They seem to thrive in the PT.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 15 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very good, Otley, you will be selling seed soon 'The Lad's Large'. ( I haven't forgotten the sloping planter, hoping neighbour will do the pic this w/e)

otatop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 15 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've given me a ray of hope Otley. I placed my usual order with Simpson's Seeds in time for my usual late Oct planting - but what with one thing and another, I didn't manage to get them in until a week ago.
Apart from my anxiety about my own crop, I worry about the young lad across the road who has recently taken up growing vegetables, and to whom I've given the spares. Given the family, I was so surprised when he took up growing in such an unpromising space that I felt involved. When I ran in to him this morning he said he'd planted the same day.

Here's hoping ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive