Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Vegan and vegetarian topic area
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 17 8:58 pm    Post subject: Vegan and vegetarian topic area Reply with quote

I have done a search, but cannot find anything that deals as a stand alone topic on vegan or vegetarian.

At the risk of a meat fed pitchforked mob yomping hundreds of miles to my home with a-lynching in mind, can i suggest them please?

I became a pescetarian ( fish eating vegetarian, i know you couldn't make it up.... ) last year, which was bloody difficult because i love beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey..... where was i.... oh yes but i watched this documentary on youtube which made me decide to cease and desist forthwith.

it was a few hours long and detailed the problems from big business and the subsequent destruction. i was going to put a link here but cannot find the video.
Greenpeace, etc all knew that 52% of global warming indicators was caused by animal farming on an industrial scale in areas like the amazon and only 13% by fossil fuels. But for political reasons they don't want to say anything, they basically said this on camera and spoke about how many people in south america had been murdered for bringing it up. Their funding will also dry up they said.

Anyway, please don't read anything into this from any business or way of life anyone reading this has. I have no problem with anyone eating meat or farming, etc. It is the scale it is being done on for profit around the world that has stopped me eating it.

Anyway, the reason for wanting this is for ideas on how to become vegan completely. Shop bought food are often boring and are quite poor. Quorn is disgusting stuff, i cannot eat mccartney sausages. So i live on cheese and cress sandwiches, beetroot, marmite crisps and peanuts during the day and dinner is either rice or potatoes with onions, mushrooms, peppers, mixed leaf vegetables. I sometimes have cod and chips or vegetarian curry.

Is there a place for this on downsizer.net?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 17 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst you will find plenty of opposing views on downsizer, I think that this is an idea that has a lot of validity on a site that aims to be open and pluralistic.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no massive interest in discussing the actual politics of it but I am finding myself cooking vegan more often, simply because a regular and welcomed guest has become vegan. He may be an awkward bastard but I want to feed him as well as I try to feed everyone.

So I'm in favour of recipes and advice. Tell me about vegan cheese. Specifically, and timely, any experience of vegan halloumi? I've spotted a commercial brand but also tofu cooked in a sandwich toaster to attempt to replicate it.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tofu?

Dhal and rice, saag and maki di roti, pakora, there should be quite a few indian vegan recipes on here already. Quorn's OK in spag bol or similar but I think it's far tastier to just cook vegan, apart from Indian there's a whole heap of other Asian vegan dishes

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. But I have a specific requirement for an event, I'm afraid.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re vegan cheese, we have tried a few commercial ones which range from not cheese but edible to not edible.

tt is about to experiments with cashew cheese ,will let you know how it turns out

this thread made me have a quick look at the recipe database where i found quite a lot of vegan/veg recipes posted on merit rather than just for being critter free.

as to cookbooks the stones ones are pretty good but more veggie than vegan

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone suggest forum title and description and I will set it up.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest 1000seeds suggests something. His idea and thought process.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced that it needs a separate section really.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me neither, but would welcome more vegan recipes

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always welcome more recipes. We've got a section for them though. And I'd have thought that a vegan perspective on whatever else could fit into the existing sections too.

1000seeds

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, if it were up to me i would have a separate vegan and vegetarian section. Recipes, homebrewing, suggestions, advice, where to look, etc. I didn't know pot noodles were vegan, or jammie dodgers or most bourbon cream biscuits for example. But they are. I am obviously looking for better food than that!

There have already been enquiries on this post to each other, so i think it worth its own section. Otherwise it will be a mix up of topics with non vegan and vegetarian and be difficult to view in its own right?

If it dies a death and there isn't the interest, then perhaps it can become part of the established section on recipes, preserves and homebrewing.

Vegan and Vegetarian: all things food related; recipes, suggestions and advice.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than Jammie dodgers? Not possible

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Better than Jammie dodgers? Not possible

Relax. They're not vegan at all.

ETA: vegan friendly link. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3485390/Jammy-Dodger-lovers-angry-planned-changes-biscuit-s-recipe.html

1000seeds

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are, it states planned to add milk. The Vegan Society are upset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive