links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sewing machines?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 11 4:07 pm    Post subject: Sewing machines? Reply with quote

I confess I've rather enjoyed my recent sewing projects. Well, apart from the sewing, that is.

If I were to ponder the purchase of a cunning gadget to that bit for me, where should I look, what breed should I buy, etc etc etc?

I'm currently thinking of stuff involving hemming and denim, as well as less heavy fabrics (like my endless supply of old t-shirts!). Can't see me ever having the urge to have anything to do with curtains. Um. I think basic but capable (and forgiving) is the vaguest category I can come up with.

Over to you!

toggle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 11 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i was buying a new machine, i'd probably wait until one of the lidl offers.

otherwise, check out what you can see in a secondhand sewing machine shop. an old singer with addon motor is a real workhorse, but has no other options than sew in a straight line, but should handle anything you thorw at it. if you were closer, id lend you mine

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 11 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask on freecycle.

Ask Frewen.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 11 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive currently got a Singer 99K electric in the classified in our local paper. its been serviced and Im looking for £100 (but Ill take £80).
Stitches great........
surplus to requirements (I have another two)

chicken feed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 11 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i brought mine from a local auction a brother dating back to the 80's does more than i care to use atm but a absolute bargain at £2 + commision = £2.35.

frewen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 11 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sewing machines are rather addictive ( I warn you now)

If you want to sew demin and t shirt material you are going to need two rather variable things from your machine.

The problem is more in the t-shirting arena - heavy weight fabrics can be dealt with by means of a hand or foot operated Singer. If you are happy to use your muscle power to be the motor and you want a well formed straight stitch a Singer hand crank or treadle is your best bet.

You *can* get a zigzag foot for these old machines, but it's a bit interesting and it kicks the fabric from side to side rather than moving the foot. You also will get nothing approximating a satin stitch (I know - I've tried) !

Motors are great - I always advise having wiring properly checked. The pot motors can be added or replaced - replacement belts are stilll being produced (as are treadle leathers). This is a bit of a personal preference area. I'm still very glad that I have my handcrank, over my electric singers anyway. It is easier to do a "stitch at a time" with a handcrank - especially going through several layers of denim. If you are going to do a *lot* of sewing then a motor may be preferable?

66k (fullsize) 99k (3/4 bed) 201k (dressmakers) 15k - all good models

221 and 222 featherweights are nice electrics - often called the quiltmakers machines - but will cost more...

T-shirt Jersey material often needs a stitch which is a little offset (stretch stitch) so that it doesn't rip the seam out as the fabric stratches. You can't get this with an old straight stitch sewing machine, so you will need a new electric model.

Do not buy a new Singer ...

I was in Dunelm Mill last week and they had quite nice looking Janome's at about £100 which might be worth further investigation. I'm sorry I forgot to take the model number at the time but I was forcing myself past without looking too closely. Janome are halfway decent with spares and replacements easily obtainable. In the last five years they have produced good reliable basic entry machines.

I've never looked at the Lidl machines so I don't know what deals they have. Personally I won't buy a machine unless I've test driven it with the materials I intend to use, or at least with a retailer who will let me "no quibble" return. I'd also hate to spend £50 on something that broke and couldn't be fixed.

Finally - you can fix up a cheap handcrank Singer and service it yourself. Inexpensive quality.
Old Electric Singers will still always be better engineered than new
electric machines. More expensive but still quality.
New machines are more versatile. More expensive less quality.

Does this help?

naomij

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 11 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Janome which i think was just under a 100, it does me very well indeed though I am not a great seamstress by any means but it made the frock in my avi and can handle heavy weight fabrics (but not lots and lots of layers of denim, but then you'd need a really pricey machine for that I reckon) but taking up jeans, curtains etc its fine.

I've heard other more experienced folk say there are a good starter sewing machine. mine does forward, back, zigzag, automatic buttonhole (scary), blind hemming and a few other things I don't use.

If you can get a free one then go for it! otherwise I'd personally get a recognised brand over lidl, for ease of servicing etc

Jo S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 11 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated.

Jo S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 11 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search on eBay and came across this Janome 641.

Erm, thoughts from anyone who knows more than me?

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 11 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tt has one very similar ,it was a bit shy of blanket weight material but adjusted it coped

the bobbin things were a bit small plastic and rough
good for button holes ok for strait and zigzag

noisy

judith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 11 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo S wrote:
I did a search on eBay and came across this Janome 641.

Erm, thoughts from anyone who knows more than me?

That looks very much like my 'spare' machine, or a very similar model. (CBA to go and check the number )
It's a great workhorse, a bit noisy but easy to maintain. Copes with thick fabrics no problem (IF you change the needle regularly), has all the basic stitches you are going to need. If it's in good nick, then it would do you nicely.

mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 11 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love to get my hands on something strong enough to sew webbing and stuff and help me modify my paragliding kit - kind like upholstery sewing.
Any recommendations on a budget

BadgerFace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 11 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
would love to get my hands on something strong enough to sew webbing and stuff and help me modify my paragliding kit - kind like upholstery sewing.

I use one of these for tack repairs and horse rug repairs, any good ?

https://www.bosunslockerchandlery.co.uk/819/Speedy-Stitcher-Sewing-Awl.html

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 11 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this weeks project is to play with my two overlockers to make one great and one good

the motors are lumps of a half horse power

those are sewing machines

i recon i will need help

judith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 11 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:

The needles have a lot to do with it, as well as the machine. If you have a machine already, it might be worth getting hold of Jeans/Denim needles or perhaps leather needles and giving those a try before you go buying a new machine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive