Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Best Foraging Reference Book(s)

Author 

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 12 6:42 pm    Post subject: Best Foraging Reference Book(s) Reply with quote

I would like to start foraging for things other than blackberries and sloes but I'm a bit of a coward. Would be grateful for recommendations of good books with nice clear pictures. I have "Food for Free" but it is an old paperback copy so the pics aren't up to much.

Katieowl

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 12 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The River Cottage hedgerow book is good, but I think I prefer the ones with botanical illustrations over photographs to be honest. I've got this one EdibleWildPlants
which is a reprint of an 80's one with a different name... It has good recipes in too.

Kate

chez

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 12 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the tiny version of food-for-free and the pics are colour - it's working well for me.

I saw a copy of this at a friend's house this afternoon and was impressed: here

sueshells

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 12 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses - I will expand my book collection and, hopefully, my foraged food selection.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 12 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rev keeble for plant id
jordans for shroom id
mears for plants ,
rc shrooms n fish
wiseman ,most edible stuff

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 12 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeble was our local vicar a long time back. I have a couple of editions of his book - nice pictures but very out dated.

Fitter, Fitter & Blamey 2003 is the one to get for general plant id - but also out of print and v expensive (This book should NOT be out of print )

You can get editions of their previous book more cheaply, which was the one that I used for decades and am still fond of, even though I apreciate the newer version is superior. Much more information and the maps are very useful too.

Rodger Phillips for Mushrooms

Not sure about books specifically about foraging - you need to know what you can't eat too.

sueshells

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 12 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh - the 2003 edition is expensive! One to look out for on my charity shop travels - although if I found it I would have to try to justify keeping it rather than selling it. I can usually manage that, however.

The previous (cheaper) one, on the other hand, might do for a beginner.

Luath

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 12 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the newer ones which is quite good to my mind is a wee paperback by David Squire -'Foraging', in teh self-sufficiency series
ISBN 978-1-84773-772-4, £7.99 rrp. Good for beginners, covers edible wildplants, popular wauside kitchen herbs, wild fruits, wild nuts, mushrooms, truffles and other edible fungi, seaweeds and shellfish. Nice liitle book.

sarahloo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 12 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best advice would be to borrow as many as possible from the library and have a good browse. The more foraging books you read the better you'll be at identifying things - you always need more than one photo to get used to what a plant looks like

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive