Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What is buttermilk?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 12 9:40 am    Post subject: What is buttermilk? Reply with quote

If I go out and buy buttermilk, or look at a recipe and it asks for buttermilk then what exactly is it because I find two definitions for it.

One is the whey left over after cheesemaking
The other is fermented / cultured low fat or skimmed milk

So which do they mean in a recipe, if I buy it which am I getting and does it make a difference?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 12 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually define it as the liquid left over after buttermaking

Sally Too

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 12 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as I understand it milk (minus the fat for making butter/cheese) is fermented in order to make buttermilk.

So it is slightly acidic because of the fermentation and so reacts with baking soda when making soda breads.

Yum... I used to buy it just to drink! Now I make kefir....

fungi2bwith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 12 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't got buttermilk available:

For recipes that require buttermilk such as scones and soda bread I use a 50/50 mixture of milk and homemade yogurt.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 12 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sally_in_wales wrote:
I usually define it as the liquid left over after buttermaking

That's my definition, too.

Hettyb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 12 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put a little lemon juice in regular milk and leave it for a few minutes it will ''sour'' and can be used instead of buttermilk for baking

Kenworth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 12 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here we have a product that is sold called buttermilk. It's sort of thickish and has a definate "different" taste to it. I'm not sure how it's created, but I know I DO NOT like it.

I like the buttermilk that comes from making homemade butter, much yummier than the commercially made stuff.

DorsetScott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 12 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hettyb wrote:
If you put a little lemon juice in regular milk and leave it for a few minutes it will ''sour'' and can be used instead of buttermilk for baking

I never have buttermilk in when I need it, so I've used this method many times. Can't tell the difference in whatever you're baking either.

Jb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 12 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenworth wrote:
Over here we have a product that is sold called buttermilk. It's sort of thickish and has a definate "different" taste to it. I'm not sure how it's created, but I know I DO NOT like it.

I like the buttermilk that comes from making homemade butter, much yummier than the commercially made stuff.

I'd guess that's down to the difference between the two definitions; whey on one hand and cultured low fat milk on the other.

Kenworth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 12 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered: I don't know if it's available where you are or not, but I believe over here there is a powdered form also that can be reconstituted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive